Time Inc. UK is a leading content company that engages millions of consumers every month through our portfolio of premium brands across platforms. By combining our distinctive content with our proprietary data and people-based targeting, we offer highly differentiated end-to-end solutions to marketers across the multimedia landscape. We have 50+ influential brands including TIME, FORTUNE, INSTYLE, NME and COUNTRY LIFE.
Time Inc. UK requires a Senior Finance Business Partner for its Marketforce division based in London. Marketforce is a leading sales, marketing and distribution company, working with some of the world’s largest media organisations, ensuring that Britain’s biggest and best publications get to market. We work with internationally recognised brands such as NME, HELLO!, Marie Claire, The Beano, What’s on TV and New Scientist.
This role is responsible for all of the Marketforce financial processes, including accounting, reporting, forecasting and budgeting. The role has 3 direct reports but the role contains a large element of ‘doing’ as well as managing. A key aspect of this hands-on role will be providing commercial support to the Marketforce Managing Director. The role will report into both the Marketforce Managing Director and Time Inc. UK Commercial Finance Director.
About the role
The main areas of responsibility for the job holder will include:-
- Producing monthly management accounts (P&L & Balance Sheet) to a strict timetable and in accordance with company policy and generally accepted accounting practice.
- Responsible for the calculation of distribution costs for the monthly accounts and ensuring the accuracy of data in the Logistics database.
- Ensuring that proper records and reconciliations are maintained to support the accounts preparation process.
- Providing monthly commentary detailing trading performance and analysis of key variances to budget and latest forecast.
- Production of the Marketforce finance board report for presentation at the monthly board meeting.
- Working with the commercial and logistics teams to produce the annual budget and quarterly re-forecasts with supporting commentary and variance analysis.
- Ensuring the terms of all commercial agreements are accurately reflected in all financial reporting and forecasting.
- Provision of commercial finance support to the Marketforce Managing Director and his team.
- Management of three direct reports and one indirect report who are responsible for Marketforce Sales Margin, Merchandising, Promotions, Tariffs, production of publisher statements and Marketforce overheads.
- Driving continuous improvement and best practice across the Marketforce finance function.
- You should be a qualified accountant (ACA, CIMA or ACCA) and have significant experience in a finance role.
- The role requires a thorough understanding of accounting practices and disciplines. A high degree of accuracy and the ability to apply controls and checking processes to maintain integrity in the accounts process is essential.
- In addition, the you will possess strong commercial acumen, problem solving skills and creative thinking in order to provide value adding commercial finance support to the Managing Director and his team.
- You will, as part of their job, liaise with senior management and budget holders so you should feel especially comfortable with this part of the role, possess excellent communication skills, be proactive and be able to strike the right balance between challenge and support.
About your experience
- Strong analytical skills. It is essential that you are an advanced Excel user and previous experience of using PeopleSoft, TM1 or similar systems would be advantageous. This role requires somebody who is hands on, who can quickly get data out of systems and produce insightful management information.
- Proven ability to lead and influence others. You must have demonstrable experience of building key relationships with the wider business outside the finance function.
- Experience of managing a team.
- Able to withstand pressure, staying calm, with an ability to think clearly.
- Flexible, with the ability to work effectively across a matrix structure.
- Possess a positive attitude to change, and the ability to challenge and influence others.
- Attention to detail. Process management experience and an appetite to get into the detail.
The following experience is desired but not essential:
- Experience of working in a client facing business (sales, marketing, distribution).
- Understanding of the print and service business sector.
- Negotiation experience and familiarity with legal contracts.