Senior DevOps Engineer
San Diego, CA
As a senior member of the DevOps team you will build and maintain Tillster’s AWS cloud infrastructure, automation and tooling to support the software development life cycle, and robust monitoring and alerting of our unique restaurant-ordering platform-as-service. Your creativity and skills will directly support a platform that processes millions of transactions for well-known, international brands in the quick service and casual dining industry such as Burger King, Pizza Hut and many others as we scale globally.
You’ll be depended upon to provide innovative approaches to infrastructure as code, continuous integration and continuous deployment. This role demands a motivated and self-directed engineer who embraces challenges and solves problems with detailed execution and follow-through. You are an effective communicator and team collaborator who pushes fellow team members to think about problems and solutions in new ways.
What you’ll do:
- Build, monitor and scale our AWS infrastructure to support our platform-as-service
- Tackle complex infrastructure challenges with scalable automation and CI/CD solutions
- Work on multiple production-class Kubernetes environments
- Build custom tools and instrumentation to ensure service availability
- Implement custom monitoring across the entire application stack, including 3rd party APIs and Point of Sale systems
- Work with partners and vendors on technical improvements and fixes
- Constantly research new technology, strategy and techniques that will benefit the team, the company, and its clients
- Participate in a weekly on-call schedule, and respond in emergency situations
- Mentor more junior team members to improve their skill-sets
Who we’re looking for:
- You have professional experience in AWS technologies and architectures and understand the unique performance and operational characteristics of applications that run there
- You think of infrastructure as code and prefer automation over manual implementation
- You have professional experience running containerized applications using Docker and Kubernetes
- You’re comfortable troubleshooting JVM-based microservices in a high-performance, high-availability environment
- You can creatively solve complex customer or internal business requirements
- You understand how technical debt is undesirable and know how to identify and remediate it
- You understand performance tuning concepts and how they apply to high-traffic web and mobile application environments
- By habit, you track and document your work and time with tools like JIRA and Confluence, Slack and email
- 5-7 years of professional experience
- BS/CS or similar field degree or experience
Technologies you are familiar with:
We’re looking for ‘jack-of-all-trades’ who has hands-on, professional experience with the following technologies:
- AWS – Tillster is 100% in AWS. We make heavy use of VPCs, EC2, RDS, EC, ES, S3, CloudFront, Route53 and many others
- CloudFormation and Terraform for Infrastructure as Code in common practice
- Linux – command-line and system administration skills are a requirement
- Jenkins – used for CI/CD, builds, and deployment
- Kubernetes – production implementation and management in AWS of containerized applications
- Monitoring – familiarity with industry-standard monitoring tools such as CloudWatch, AppDynamics, New Relic, Datadog, Dynatrace, Sensu, etc
- Logging aggregation systems such as ELK, Splunk, Graylog, etc
- Tomcat – Production experience managing Java-based applications
- HTTP servers and load balancers such as Nginx, Apache, HAProxy, etc
Tillster is proudly an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Local Candidates Strongly Preferred.
Relocation Assistance Considered.
No visa sponsorship.
Principals only – no Agencies or calls please.