Senior Staff Engineer - Java
Location: London - Remote / Hybrid.
Department: Backend - Services & APIs
Who are Tide:
At Tide, we’re on a mission to save businesses time and money. We’re the leading provider of UK SME business accounts and one of the fastest-growing FinTechs in the UK. Using the latest tech, we design solutions with SMEs in mind and our member-driven financial platform is transforming the business banking market. Not only do we offer our members business accounts and related banking services, but also a comprehensive set of highly connected admin tools for businesses.
Tide is about doing what you love. We’re looking for someone to join us on our exciting scale up journey and be a part of something special. We are wanting passionate Tideans to drive innovation and help build a best-in-class platform to support our members. You will be comfortable in ambiguous situations and will be able to navigate the evolving FinTech environment. Imagine shaping how millions of Tide members discover and engage with business banking platforms and building this on a global scale.
What we’re looking for:
As a Senior Staff Engineer at Tide you will be working on the designing, creating and running our newly formed Marketing domain. We have a long roadmap ahead of us and rarely run out of interesting problems to tackle. To make this a bit more specific you will be looking after designing and bringing to life our product catalogue, the chassis providing the foundation for other Tide teams to register their products, generate invoices, run different billing cycles, advertise their product to the correct audience, analyse the performance, bundle the products in some of our subscriptions plans, allow sales and onboarding agents to generate discounts, allow marketing people to run campaigns and that’s merely the beginning!
This role offers an exceptional opportunity to make a real difference by taking ownership of engineering practices in a rapidly expanding company! We trust and empower our Senior Staff engineers to make real architectural decisions that affect multiple teams and shape the future of Tide’s One Platform.
We work in small autonomous teams, grouped under common domains owning the full lifecycle of some microservices in Tide’s service catalogue. Our engineers self-organise, gather together to discuss technical challenges, and set their own guidelines in the different Communities of Practice regardless of where they currently stand in our Growth Framework.
As a Senior Staff Engineer you’ll be:
- Defining and owning the target architecture for the Marketing domain, making sure that all the projects and services in the area follow it
- Working on early engineering phases to lay the groundwork for the team(s) in the Marketing area
- Working with the product team to select technology partners
- Leading backend engineers across multiple agile teams carefully dividing your time between design, coding and coaching other team members. You will be the person people turn to seeking advice and solutions to difficult problems
- Regularly aligning your vision and roadmap of the Marketing target architecture with other Senior Staff Engineers and their respective target architectures to ensure the success of complex multi domain initiatives
- Working closely with product owners, mobile & web engineers, data scientist and other business members to translate requirements into well-engineered solutions
- Making key contributions to our Community of Practice. You will apply your extensive experience on our problem domain and existing guidelines to become a true beacon of best practices among your fellow engineers
What makes you a great fit:
- Have extensive experience (15+ years) building server-side applications and detailed knowledge of the relevant programming languages for your stack (i.e Java 8 or newer). You don’t need to know Java, but to be on top of the teams, you need to be willing to learn it
- Have a sound knowledge of a backend framework (e.g. Spring/Spring Boot)
- Have experience with running microservices and implementing and consuming RESTful APIs (in the world of Open Banking often times they are gonna be public!)
- Have experience engineering scalable and reliable solutions in a cloud-native environment
- Demonstrate a mindset of delivering secure, well-tested and well-documented software
- Are willing to own your code and your team’s processes from development to production
- Have exposure to complex solutions in payment-related industries and/or marketing
- Have experience integrating with various third party providers and partners
- Have experience with relational databases.
- Are comfortable working in an agile environment
- Have the ability to communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience
- Have exposure to continuous integration, delivery and deployment
What you’ll get in return:
Make work, work for you! We are embracing new ways of working and support flexible working arrangements. With our Working Out of Office (WOO) policy our colleagues can work remotely from home or anywhere in their home country. Additionally, you can work from a different country for 90 days of the year. Plus, you’ll get:
- Competitive salary
- Vitality Health Insurance, with a proactive focus on mental and physical wellbeing
- 24/7 Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days holiday with the ability to buy extra days
- We invest in your development with a £1,000 professional L&D budget per year
- Access to ‘salary sacrifice’ benefits such as Cycle to Work scheme and pension contribution
- Spacious brand new office in Liverpool street with an all-day snacks bar
- Enhanced family-friendly leave
- 24 hours paid volunteering time off per year
- Flexible working options
- Sabbatical leave
Tidean Ways of Working
At Tide, we’re Member First and Data Driven, but above all, we’re One Team. Our Working Out of Office (WOO) policy allows you to work from anywhere in the world for up to 90 days a year. We are remote first, but when you do want to meet new people, collaborate with your team or simply hang out with your colleagues, our offices are always available and equipped to the highest standard. We offer flexible working hours and trust our employees to do their work well, at times that suit them and their team.
Tide is a place for everyone
At Tide, we believe that we can only succeed if we let our differences enrich our culture. Our Tideans come from a variety of backgrounds and experience levels. We consider everyone irrespective of their ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status. We believe it’s what makes us awesome at solving problems! We are One Team and foster a transparent and inclusive environment, where everyone’s voice is heard.