You, as a Staff Java Engineer and member of this team, would be working on our new and existing projects for our credit, payments, business services, member engagement or financial crime areas. We have a five years roadmap ahead of us with exciting new features and we’ll need you to solve interesting problems. Your fellow team members will get you up to speed in your business area and will help you develop the skills so that eventually you are the one coaching other new joiners. Joining one of our expanding agile teams, you will be required to work closely with product owners, mobile engineers, and other business members to translate requirements into well-engineered solutions.
You will ideally join our backend Community of Practices, learn from them and eventually propose your own to maintain a high quality across the backend. Career progression is as important to you as it is for us. With our expanding teams and business we will encourage you to outgrow your initial responsibilities. This role offers an exceptional opportunity to make a real difference with responsibilities across engineering practices in a rapidly expanding company!
About the Tech
Technology and our people is what makes Tide possible. We work in autonomous teams where backend, iOS, Android, web, QA, DevOps, agile coaches, data experts and product owners solve difficult problems together to get the job done. We self-organise and discuss technical challenges and set our own guidelines in the different Community of Practices.
On the backend we see Java 8 as legacy and use Java 11+ for our micro-services. We provide RESTful APIs to our colleagues in the frontend, but also use gRPC for internal service-to-service communications. Spring Boot is our work horse, but we are open to new experiments. We are cloud-native and run everything on AWS. You’ll see containers (Docker), queues (SNS+SQS) and events everywhere. The nature of our business naturally fits with relational databases, but we have also found some use cases for NoSQL.
Our frontends have done an incredible job at consuming our APIs and providing the best UX to our members. They are fully native Android and iOS apps or Angular 2+ web apps. DevOps provides vital infrastructure and operations support.
We’re an international scale up, we’re busy! If fast paced environments, cross team exposure, inquisitive freedom and the ability to have a real impact on a rapidly growing scale up appeals to you, then you already have the mind of a Tidean. If you have that along with the following experience, we’d love to hear from you.
- Good commercial experience building server-side applications and detailed knowledge of the relevant programming languages for your stack (i.e Java 8 or newer).
- Sound knowledge of a Java backend framework (e.g. Spring/Spring Boot).
- Exposure to microservices and implementing and consuming RESTful APIs.
- A mindset of delivering secure, well-tested and well-documented software.
- Experience with relational databases.
The highly desirables:
- Exposure to continuous integration, delivery and deployment.
- Some experience integrating to third parties.
- Comfortable working in agile methodologies, ideally Scrum.
- Exposure to common development tools such as IntelliJ, Git, Jira, etc.