Role: Pregnancy & Birth Doula
Manager: SVP Medical & Wellness Services
Founded in 2017 by Carolyn Witte and Felicity Yost, Tia is the modern medical home for women. We are trailblazing a new paradigm for women’s healthcare that treats women as whole people vs. parts or life stages. Blending in-person and virtual care services, Tia’s “Whole Woman, Whole Life” care model fuses gynecology, primary care, mental health and evidence-based wellness services to treat women comprehensively. By making women’s health higher quality and lower cost, Tia makes women healthier, providers happier, and the business of care delivery stronger — setting a new standard of care for women everywhere.
Tia has raised more than $132 Million in venture capital funding to date, including a recent $100 Million Series B investment, one of the largest early-stage rounds ever for a healthcare company focused on women. Tia has ambitious plans to scale its “whole-woman, whole-life” model to more than 100,000 women by 2023. We’ll do this by growing virtual and in-person operations in existing and new markets while expanding its service lines to care for women throughout their entire lives -- from puberty to menopause. Since launching in 2017, Tia has grown to serve thousands of women aged 18-80 with blended in-person and virtual care in New York City, Los Angeles, Phoenix and soon San Francisco.
We’re building a world class team to reimagine women’s healthcare. We’re an interdisciplinary team of clinicians, researchers, designers, technologists and operators who have seen firsthand how broken the healthcare system is for women. We’re united by a powerful mission to enable every woman to achieve optimal health, as defined by herself, as well as a shared set of values and principles that define our business, products, and culture.
Our company values:
- Health & Wellbeing: We believe that health & wellbeing is a fundamental human need and right. We prioritize the health & wellbeing of our employees and their families.
- Compassion: We believe that compassion is as important as information and care itself. We imbue compassion into our care, leadership, and communication.
- Individual Agency: We believe that every person has a responsibility to enact their agency for the betterment of themselves and others. We encourage all employees to call out problems and advocate for solutions.
- Collaboration: We believe that collaboration engenders creativity and outsized impact more than hyper-specialized or individualistic approaches to solving problems. We believe collaboration fosters different perspectives, experiences, and skillsets.
- Aspirational Thinking: We believe that aspirational thinking leads to higher quality work and transformative outcomes. We encourage all employees to think through problems and reach for solutions that raise the bar.
Tia’s Vision for pregnancy support care
Tia is on a mission to bring a holistic and integrative lens to care for women - and we are developing a novel pregnancy support program to support people through their pregnancy journey. We are building a program that cradles the traditional obstetrical model, that leaves much to be desired experientially & holistically, with a canonical Tia program. We will wrap around the traditional OB care with our primary care, care coordination, and ancillary services that support a healthy and soft pregnancy journey. Our approach will be education and community forward, striving to supplement the traditional (often cold) OB visits, with a sense of naturalism to surround the birthing experience. Our approach will be to give the mother back agency over her body, her choices, and re-anchor her on the success of her pregnancy and her baby’s health based on her definitions. Pregnancy and birth has the opportunity to be one of the most empowering experiences of a birthing parent’s life - and we are committed to building an experience that promotes this holistically.
About the Role:
We’re looking for a Pregnancy & Birthing Doula who is interested in a virtual and program development role with Tia. This role will focus on designing the incarnation of our pregnancy vision through setting up a system of doula support for our pregnant patients, designing group classes and support circles, and training our care coordination team on best practices. Initially, you’ll come on as a contractor able to dedicate up to 20 hours / week, with the goal of eventually joining Tia full-time.
As Tia’s first Doula, you’ll play an exciting role in helping shape our new pregnancy support service lines. At the core, you will be advising Tia on how we should shape the patient’s pregnancy journey at Tia to deliver patients the support they need in a uniquely Tia fashion. As a thought leader and community engagement expert, you will also be the primary representative to Tia’s external community and followers for Tia’s pregnancy support services.
You are not only dedicated to your craft as a Doula and educator, but you are also a creator and visionary who is interested in leading Tia through this new phase of program development. You are an enthusiastic, collaborative, and experienced Doula with interest in joining our diverse integrated clinical team to help differentiate Tia’s offering in the market. This opportunity is especially exciting for someone who is interested in helping inform Tia’s pregnancy program development through tight cross-collaborative partnerships, continued feedback, and thought partnership.
Once the program development portion of this project is complete, you will transition into monitoring the program design while also providing patient care part-time to understand first-hand how the patients are experiencing Tia’s offering. There may be an opportunity to scale your role up to full-time capacity once the program is live, seeing patients or leading patient education groups part of the time.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to interact with and provide support to a diverse patient population, you will have significant influence in shaping Tia’s offering to this patient population at this important life stage, and you will have the opportunity to participate in Tia’s weekly integrated practice learning and development trainings on various interdisciplinary clinical topics.
- Contractor role (10-20 hours / week ramping up over the period)
- Initial 10 week commitment for consulting work on program design
- Virtual: work conducted over phone, email, and video from your home, with the possibility of incorporating an in-person component down the line
- Schedule: to be defined alongside you based on your preferences
- Location: this role will be remote, with a slight preference for NYC
Values and abilities you’ll bring to Tia:
- You have a vision for what you think a differentiated Doula-led pregnancy support offering at Tia should look like, and you’re excited to work with clinicians and business leaders from different backgrounds to debate the merits of different designs in favor of driving the best outcome for our patients
- You are able to understand and navigate the waters between business growth (& the need to move quickly) vs. clinical preferences, and you’re able to define what’s “good enough” for a version 1 of the program, while still maintaining Tia’s quality bar for care provision
- Interest in representing and advocating for patients of diverse backgrounds, not limited to diversity of race, gender, ethnicity, socio-economic status, and LGBTQ populations
- Able to give direct, empathetic advice, balancing the ability to give practical advice and nurturing, guiding words of support
- Able to actively listen, ask questions to understand the specific needs of parents, and to offer suggestions from your detailed knowledge
- Flexible to an ever-changing change and fast paced start-up environment, and working well with independence and relative autonomy
- Integrity and confidence in your practice, reliable and trustworthy
- You believe that each woman knows her body best
- You’re motivated to elevate women’s care by bringing a collaborative and integrative approach to women’s health.
- Effective working in a multidisciplinary setting
- You’re facile with technology and interested in using this technology to support high quality clinical care.
Skills and assets you’ll bring to Tia:
Skills and assets you’ll bring to Tia:
- Seasoned and experienced birthworker, with preference for at least 4 years of experience providing Doula services to birthing families
- High school diploma or GED required
- You’re authorized to work in the US
- Passionate and research-driven professional
- Extensive knowledge of and experience in childbirth and pre and post-natal care
- Ability to understand and represent the experiences of populations often underrepresented and under-advocated in the maternal health realm
- A calming, patient, and nurturing presence
- The ability to answer questions and provide guidance in a non-judgmental way
- Skilled at and interest in leading a team of Doulas
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Computer skills including ability to use, or quickly learn, Google collaboration suite, Gmail, and Tia’s EHR and data systems
Other “nice to have” skills and assets:
- As an organization that seeks to create an environment for all women to feel safe, heard, recognized and avowed in their health, bodies and lives, we are consistently seeking practitioners with backgrounds that are meaningfully different from those already forming our team. You bring a diverse background, a range of care experiences in different communities or various modalities.
- Postpartum expertise highly preferred
- Ability to prove completion of Doula training and / or certification program preferred
- Lactation Consultant (IBCLC - International Board of Certified Lactation Consultants) certification preferred
- Experience as a registered nurse (or PA / NP / Midwife) is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in social work or human service is a plus
At the onset:
- Program design and development - be an internal partner and advisor to establishing a new suite of pregnancy support services at Tia
- Assist with decision-making in developing the full program design
- Help develop a uniquely Tia community-based doula curriculum
- Work across disciplines to train and support other providers on the value of pregnancy support services for patients and understanding when they should internally direct patients to the program
- During the pilot program, help participate in synthesizing key patient feedback on their experience in the Tia pregnancy support services pilot. Collect, review, and utilize data and information on clients and services to inform ongoing program design.
- Participate meaningfully in recruitment of Doulas across Tia clinics.
- Participate in internal training sessions at Tia, hosting some didactic sessions on your own area of expertise as well as participating in others
- Participate in community outreach activities as requested
- Initial patient care - driving towards excellence in Tia’s Pregnancy Support services as embedded into Tia’s integrating women’s health care practice
- Lead assessment interviews for new program participants
- Provide emotional, physical, and educational support to our mother-to-be patients, educating her on techniques that increase comfort and patiently answering questions and addressing her concerns
- Listen to the concerns and questions of the mother in a kind, non-judgmental way, and offering the best possible advice
- Help mother establish her birth preferences, including goals and a plan to accomplish those goals
- Refer patients internally to other services as needed (e.g., mental health), and coordinate patient care for other specialty referrals and ancillary support needs
- Complete case notes and other required documentation of services for each participant
- Stay abreast of childbirth support, birthing techniques, and pre and post natal care by conducting research, networking with other Doulas and mothers, and attending workshops and lectures
- Maintain positive working relationships with other Tia team members, referral partners (e.g. OB programs), and other community resources.
- Effectively escalate issues at the patient care level to the appropriate leadership when necessary
- Effectively handle escalations relating to patient satisfaction or clinical issues that need escalation in care to the relevant Tia Responsible Person.
- Report on technology performance giving constructive feedback to the technology team— helping to dive into issues that are impacting practice.
- Report to Tia and site clinic leadership on operational or clinical model issues.
- Report to the VP of Clinical Operations on issues relating to care quality concerns among care providers across Tia clinic sites.
- Talented and collaborative team who will both support and challenge you
- Tia training and mentorship opportunities
- Flexible schedule
- Market competitive salary
This position may require attendance at company and team off-sites and is subject the Company’s vaccine requirement, as permitted by law and subject to reasonable accommodation