Thyme Care is an oncology digital health start-up that’s focused on radically improving the cancer experience with early and ongoing intervention. We help patients, caregivers, clinicians, health plans, and employers by coordinating integrated care that leads to better results, lower costs, and aligned incentives. Every Thyme Care member is assigned a personalized team of physician-guided oncology nurses and resource specialists who provide education, guidance, and advocacy as they navigate the complex healthcare system. We facilitate quick access to quality resources and high-value care, coordinating directly with providers and offering support every step of the way. Our high-touch, tech-enabled model generates actionable insights that allow us to identify at-risk members earlier and offer them the most relevant support based on where they are in their cancer journey—closing gaps in care and eliminating excess spend.
In this role you will build and lead the analytics and predictions at the heart of Thyme Care’s core products and services. As a Data Scientist you will own the information central to the decisions that we make to care for our members. With the support of our Product and Engineering teams, you will assemble and oversee the inputs, analyses, and models that will shape our value-based care contracts, enabling us to increase the quality of our member’s care while decreasing overall cost. It will be your job to build the team that guides and tracks progress toward our company’s value-based care strategy for all clinical, executive, and commercial teams. To be successful, we’ll expect that:
- After 3 months you will…
- Know the team, business, key metrics, milestones and the outcomes we aim to address. You’ve assessed the current state of our data, tools, processes, and systems and have begun understanding the historical risk of our patient populations. You’ve built the foundation for the data and insights that will allow us to create value-based and risk-based care contracts that are commercially viable and keep our patients at the center of everything.
- You have an understanding of which levers Thyme Care can pull to deliver the most value to our members and payor clients.
- You’ve started recruiting a top notch team.
- After 6 months you will…
- Have a system and small team in place to answer questions like:
- Which populations can we go at risk for?
- Which pricing structure ought we put into our contract?
- What is our expected financial performance on our shared savings contract?
- What factors will change in the future that will affect our shared savings arrangements?
- How should we track progress towards value-based savings?
- You can communicate the above to our payor customers to help them understand the value that Thyme Care can bring to their members.
- After 12 months you will…
- Have built a world-class team around you.
- Be able to tell the story from our data about the sorts of considerations and risks we will need to balance with upside.
- Anticipate how the market and potential costs in the market are going to change (increase or decrease or stagnate) in response to events taking place in the world and understand how we might mitigate these.
WHAT LEADS TO SUCCESS
- Experience. You aren’t new to the data realm. You’ve worked with health care data and may have also touched oncology. You’re fluent in value-based care and capitation payment models. We’d bet you’ve worked for a health plan, in a data role at a healthcare-focused technology startup, and likely have an advanced degree. It’s mission critical you have experience operating and working in a cloud environment.
- Net-new development. You've built and deployed impactful, production-ready analytics and risk models.
- Player/Coach. You’ve built and developed a team. You’re never afraid to get your hands dirty, but you can take a step back and think through strategic opportunities and solutions from 30,000 feet.
- Curiosity. You have a drive to understand how things work and love sharing that knowledge with others.
- Biased to action. You’re a self-starter and don’t need anyone to tell you when to do something.
- Comfort with ambiguity. You have a proven track record of success within scaling businesses, fast-paced environments, and ambitious startups. You know how to chart a course through ambiguous challenges.
- A patient first approach. You’re personally motivated by our mission to create a better cancer journey for all and excited by the tech we are building. You have a passion for seeing your work in action to solve meaningful problems.
We recognize a history of inequality in healthcare. We’re here to challenge the status quo and create a culture of inclusion through the care we give and the company we build. We embrace and celebrate a diversity of perspectives in reflection of our members and the members we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer.