Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $700B in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
About the Engineering Team
At Thumbtack, engineers at every level directly impact improvements across the product, including project scoping, matching, scheduling, messaging and payments. Building an outstanding experience for each of these user flows is made more complex by the sheer scale of our approach: Thumbtack simultaneously operates in nearly 1,000 categories, in every county in the US. Our new Instant Match tool has allowed us to truly revolutionize the experience of hiring local pros, while increasing supply to meet the robust customer demand we’ve spent years growing.
About the Role
We are looking to build an amazing mobile experience for hundreds of thousands of users. Can you imagine what you might do if you could run your business from your phone? If you could hire a service provider at any time day or night with just a few taps? The sky's the limit. We develop much of our products mobile first and have seen this investment pay off incredibly. We’re looking for engineers excited to build a fantastic product.
- Drive engineering projects to completion, with a tenacious focus on the business impact of those projects. Skilled at prioritizing tasks to deliver on goals with a sense of urgency.
- Execute new ideas quickly and effectively in Android while also being a resource to other teams and engineers.
- Willing, when necessary, to solve tough technical problems at any level of the stack, and be persistent in getting to the solution.
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams to plan and execute on engineering projects.
- Minimum of 4 years of industry experience in engineering
- Passionate Android engineer who is an expert in building, testing, releasing, and maintaining Android applications
- History of shipping consumer focused apps that users love on the Play Store, you can show what you’ve owned
- Excited by the potential of mobile technology to transform the lives of small businesses around the country
- Experience with popular 3rd party libraries, frameworks, and services like RxJava, ButterKnife, AutoValue, Retrofit, Dagger, Crashlytics, and Amplitude, including when not to use one
- Hands-on experience with Kotlin is a plus!
- Strong eye for beautiful design and user experience
- Familiarity with Material design principles and components
- Great communicator; we find that people who are good writers tend to be great thinkers and great coders
- You’re data-driven and dedicated to thorough testing to maintain high-quality software
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers who need to get things done with local, skilled professionals who can help. From plumbers and painters to DJs and personal trainers, Thumbtack helps millions of customers find the right professional for their project in 1,000 unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $250 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- Learn more about our culture, benefits, and perks
- Learn more about engineering at Thumbtack
- Follow Thumbtack on LinkedIn
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.