Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Engineering Team
At Thumbtack, engineers at every level build products and systems that directly impact our customers and professionals. Our challenges span a wide variety of areas, ranging from building search and booking experiences, to optimizing pricing systems, to building tools to help professionals grow their businesses. We believe in tackling these hard problems together as a team, with strong values around collaboration, ownership and transparency. To read more about the hard problems that our team is taking on, visit our engineering blog.
About the Role
Our Site Reliability Engineers are a hybrid of software and systems engineers. Our current mission is to design Thumbtack’s next version of the core infrastructure. We code our way out of operational problems. We are responsible for reliability, scalability, and automation while keeping an eye on latency, performance, and capacity.
- Design, write, and maintain software to improve the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of Thumbtack's services, incorporating third-party open-source tools when available.
- Create new designs for a growing number of distributed systems.
- Design and implement the tools and processes used for deployment and change management.
- Plan and execute configuration management.
- Own, maintain, and continuously improve all systems provided as a service, such as monitoring and datastores.
- Engage in service capacity planning and demand forecasting, anticipating performance bottlenecks.
- Automate resource provisioning and allocation process.
- Run software performance analysis and system tuning
- Plan and execute disaster recovery drills
- Participate in rotating on-call duties
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Fluent in one or more of: C, Python, Go
- Minimum of 4 years of industry experience in engineering
- Familiarity with algorithms, data structures, and complexity analysis
- In-depth knowledge of operating systems (processes, threads, IPC, concurrency, locks, mutexes, semaphores, etc.)
- Experience working with Unix/Linux systems from kernel to shell and beyond, with experience working with system libraries, file systems, and client-server protocols
- Experience with network protocols and theory (TCP/IP, UDP, ICMP, MAC addresses, IP packets, DNS, OSI layers, and load balancing, etc.)
- Experience with Puppet, or some other configuration management tool
- Systematic problem solving approach
- Strong sense of ownership and drive
- Expertise in designing, analyzing, and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- Experience with Amazon Web Services
- Experience with PostgreSQL tuning and performance
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $250 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Engineers on a mission
- Follow us on LinkedIn
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.