Here at Thumbtack, we’re building the easiest way for people to hire local professionals for projects big and small. From house painting to personal training and everything in between, we match customers to the right pros for all of life’s projects.
As a Software Engineer at Thumbtack, you'll be responsible for bringing the Thumbtack vision to life. That means discovering, researching, and implementing anything that moves us toward our vision. You’ll work in collaboration with the engineering team, designers, product managers, other cross-functional teams.
This may mean scaling product features and infrastructure to support a fast-growing user base, building internal tools to give us insight into Thumbtack ecosystem, iterating on the core mechanics of the marketplace, or exploring and prototyping any number of new and compelling ideas. In any case, as a software engineer, it always means managing complexity through thoughtful software design to ensure we can grow and scale our product without sacrificing development speed or quality.
We expect you to be excited by Thumbtack's mission to transform the local services economy, making it more efficient and useful for both sides of the marketplace. We deeply believe in the transformative power of technology in the services industry.
Our engineering process values ownership and individual contribution within a collaborative environment. To this end, you’ll have significant autonomy in choosing the kinds of projects you undertake. We expect you to take a deliberate and thoughtful approach to your decision-making while also working autonomously and creatively.
- You’re experienced working within a distributed systems architecture
- You appreciate a good statistical analysis and the power of data-driven decisions, and you might like running A/B tests
- You're excited about the code you write, and work hard to make it maintainable for your future self as well as your colleagues on the engineering team
- You like finding interesting problems in the world, then tackling them head on with dedication and creativity
- You’re comfortable expressing yourself with written and verbal communication
- You like talking and engaging with users to help them express their needs in ways that can be used as feedback for future iterations of the product
More about us
Headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is helping millions of people tackle their to-do lists every day. By delivering custom, project-specific quotes from qualified and available professionals, we empower customers to select and hire the pro that’s right for them. And with a steady stream of new projects being started, independent professionals across all 50 states are able to grow and manage their businesses on their own terms.
You can learn more about some of the projects we've worked on over at thumbtack.com/engineering.
Please visit thumbtack.com/jobs to return to our careers page.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.