Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Engineering Team
At Thumbtack, engineers at every level build products and systems that directly impact our customers and professionals. Our challenges span a wide variety of areas, ranging from building search and booking experiences, to optimizing pricing systems, to building tools to help professionals grow their businesses. We believe in tackling these hard problems together as a team, with strong values around collaboration, ownership and transparency. To read more about the hard problems that our team is taking on, visit our engineering blog.
About the Role
As a front-end engineer at Thumbtack, your breadth of skills paired with our bottom-up product process will give you as much autonomy and license as you can handle. If you can build it and it’s good for the company, do it! There's no limit to how valuable you can be or how much impact you can make here. We’re looking for people who want to make a mark on the world—who have the ambition to dream big and the talent to bring those dreams to fruition.
- Explore new frameworks, languages, and processes while also being able to discuss when (or when not) to use them.
- Mentor a growing team of multidisciplinary engineers on FE standards and best-practices.
- Participate in a culture that values thoughtful code reviews, and frequent deploys.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Minimum of 4 years of industry experience in engineering.
- Possess a deep understanding of JS beyond libraries or frameworks (i.e. Core JS, not just jQuery or Angular).
- Have detailed knowledge of responsive CSS, the box model, semantic markup, and HTML5.
- An appreciation for good design, and the desire to translate visual ideas into working, beautiful code.
- Be familiar with, and comfortable contributing to, robust FE tooling to support our growing team.
- Love writing documentation and tests to keep their code lovely for years to come.
- Be able to show what they've built via GitHub, CodePen, or a personal portfolio site.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers who need to get things done with local, skilled professionals who can help. From plumbers and painters to DJs and personal trainers, Thumbtack helps millions of customers find the right professional for their project in 1,000 unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $250 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Engineers on a mission
- Follow us on LinkedIn
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.