Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers with the right professionals for anything they need done. Every day we rally around the impact Thumbtack has on people’s lives - from house cleaners, to yoga instructors to general contractors, we’re helping small businesses grow and thrive. Join our growing team in the quest to build THE destination for anything you need done.
About the Category Management team
Thumbtack’s Category Management team creates a customized product experience across more than 1000 service categories in our marketplace. We do this by diving deep into user needs in each category and using our expertise to help develop, roll out, and manage category-specific features. This tailored experience inspires confidence in our users and helps our customers get more projects done.
About the role
As a Category Manager, you will lead a set of Thumbtack’s categories to drive growth and improve the user experience. You’ll tailor features that help customers find the right pro in your categories and help pros get hired. You will also lead the Category Management team’s partnership with 1 or more Product teams (e.g. Customer Growth, Pro Experience) to scope and implement features that improve the Thumbtack experience across categories. We’re looking for a skilled leader who can blend strategic thinking with practical decision-making and rapid execution. Over time, we’ll expect you to grow a team and serve as a role-model for making data-driven decisions that improve our users’ experience and marketplace health.
- Develop expertise in assigned categories based on user needs and data analysis
- Successfully implement feature improvements in those categories (e.g. request forms, ProAssist launch)
- Partner with 1-2 Product teams to identify, define, and lead projects requiring category research, analysis, and feature recommendations
- Collaborate and develop strong relationships with cross-functional team members (e.g. PM, Marketing, Design, Engineering, Analytics, Ops, Customer Service)
- Help build, lead, and inspire a team of talented Associate Category Managers
- 5-10 years of work experience: preferably at least 2 years with a top-tier strategy consulting firm and at least 2 years of experience in tech
- Strategic thinker: can develop strategic insights through rigorous quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Capable project manager: can scope and manage a set of diverse projects, with a strong track record of delivering against aggressive timelines
- Excellent communicator, attentive listener and compelling explainer
- Experience managing direct reports, including defining high-level goals and diving into the day-to-day details
- Experience in an online marketplace or similar consumer technology company
- Experience in a strategy or product-related role
- Expertise in or passion for specific Thumbtack categories
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers who need to get things done with local, skilled professionals who can help. From plumbers and painters to DJs and personal trainers, Thumbtack helps millions of customers find the right professional for their project in 1,000 unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $250 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.