A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn’t come with a manual. That's why we’re building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes — knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $600B+ industry — we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We’re seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we’ll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in every U.S. county
- 80 million projects started on Thumbtack
- 10 million 5-star reviews and counting
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- 1000+ employees
- $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
About the IT Infrastructure Team
The Internal Tools team is made up of 3 groups -- IT Infrastructure & Operations, Business Applications, and Technical Program Management & Procurement. Together, we deliver trusted, scalable, secure services and infrastructure to empower Thumbtack employees with the tools they need to get work done. We partner with the business and own our platform of internal tools throughout their lifecycle -- intake, prioritization, buy/build, implementation, support, and retirement.
About the Role
We’re looking for an up-and-coming IT Systems Engineer who can help build and support our current and future SaaS tooling. You will leverage your in-depth knowledge of best in class SaaS products to build highly scalable and redundant systems that will support Thumbtack’s employees. As with most startups, you will need a solid base of technical skills and a willingness to take on all challenges big and small. You understand the importance of building strong relationships with global customers, business partners and IT team members alike. You have excellent communication skills, a passion for technology and dedication to delivering world-class services.
- Operate and iterate corporate tooling systems and identity tools through the lens of redundancy and security
- Identify, troubleshoot and resolve advanced issues related to supported systems & services
- Act as primary administrator for our largest SaaS technologies such as Google Workspace, Slack, Okta, and Atlassian.
- Enable technical innovation and efficiency through automation
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to drive to operational processes and implement improvements
- Monitor systems health, identify, troubleshoot and resolve advanced issues, and 24x7 support (on-call rotation) for critical components & changes (change/incident management)
What you’ll need
- Bachelor’s degree and/or 3-5+ years IT systems experience in a distributed, enterprise environment
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills; ability to make thoughtful proposals, provide root cause analysis and demonstrate results through testing and metrics
- Knowledge of Google Workspace and familiarity with other cloud platforms and concepts
- In-depth experience with cloud-delivered security solutions: SaaS API/DLP
- Proficiency in scripting or workflow automation tools: Terraform, Okta Workflows, Workato
- Experience supporting monitoring, alerting, and logging tools
- A great teammate and partner who has outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, works well cross-functionally, and thrives in a fast-paced, virtual first environment
Bonus points if you have
- Professional Certifications: Google, Atlassian, Okta, AWS, Palo Alto, ITIL, etc
- Experience with Google Workspace and Okta in a Workday mastered environment
- A good sense of humor!
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines.* Learn more about our virtual-first working model here. #LI-Remote
- Virtual-first working model coupled with in-person events
- 20 company-wide holidays including a week-long end-of-year company shutdown
- Libraries (optional use collaboration & connection hubs) in San Francisco and Salt Lake City
- WiFi reimbursements
- Cell phone reimbursements (North America)
- Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
Learn More About Us
- Life @ Thumbtack Blog
- How Thumbtack is embracing virtual work
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Meet the pros who inspire us
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, state, or local law. We also will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable law.
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.