A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn’t come with a manual. That's why we’re building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes — knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $600B+ industry — we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We’re seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we’ll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in every U.S. county
- 80 million projects started on Thumbtack
- 10 million 5-star reviews and counting
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- 1000+ employees
- $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
About the Monetization Experience Team
The Monetization Experience team is responsible for creating intuitive ways for pros to express, manage, and evaluate their outcomes on Thumbtack while allowing us to monetize them sustainably over the long term. The team uses various product surfaces to enable pros to perceive the value Thumbtack provides. The team is critical to the company’s long term revenue growth and is responsible for doing so in a sustainable way that minimizes negative impacts on customers and pros.
About the Role
Monetization is key to the growth of any business, and in this role you will be leading the engineering team directly responsible for the Monetization Experience. The team is highly interdisciplinary, encompassing engineers with a variety of skill sets including frontend engineering, native mobile and backend engineering. In this role, you’ll not only partner with product, design and marketing leads to develop and execute on a growth strategy for Thumbtack, but also help build critical infrastructure and systems that power that growth and enable the team to move fast.
- Work with engineering leads within the team as well as cross functional leads (including product, marketing, analytics and design) to craft a compelling vision and long term strategy for monetization experience
- Build and grow an amazing full stack engineering team with a strong culture of balancing excellence with moving fast. The team is currently ~8 engineers
- Set the team up for excellence in execution and anticipate and plan ahead for infrastructure the team needs to build for long-term success. This infrastructure could be backend systems, machine learning models, frontend infrastructure for fantastic pagespeed, or experimental infrastructure to enable rapid testing and prototyping within our native apps
- Work closely with other engineering leaders to evolve and continually improve Thumbtack’s engineering culture in a high paced growth environment
What you’ll need
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 3+ years of experience in an engineering management role
- 5+ years experience building software at scale
- Good knowledge of full stack software development and experience building and scaling full stack teams
- Strong leadership, communication, and organizational skills
- Passion for leading teams, setting vision, and developing highly functioning organizations
- Passionate about technology and not afraid to write code
Bonus points if you have
- Experience with a marketplace business
- Experience in the monetization domain
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines.* Learn more about our virtual-first working model here.
For candidates living in San Francisco / Bay Area, New York City, or Seattle metros, the expected salary range for the role is currently $180,000 - $250,000. Actual offered salaries will vary and will be based on various factors, such as calibrated job level, qualifications, skills, competencies, and proficiency for the role.
- Virtual-first working model coupled with in-person events
- 20 company-wide holidays including a week-long end-of-year company shutdown
- Libraries (optional use collaboration & connection hubs) in San Francisco and Salt Lake City
- WiFi reimbursements
- Cell phone reimbursements (North America)
- Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
Learn More About Us
- Life @ Thumbtack Blog
- How Thumbtack is embracing virtual work
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Meet the pros who inspire us
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, state, or local law. We also will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable law.
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.