A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn’t come with a manual. That's why we’re building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes — knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $600B+ industry — we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We’re seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we’ll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in all 3,143 U.S. counties
- 75 million+ projects started on Thumbtack
- About 4 million customers in the last 12 months
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- About 10 million 5-star reviews for our stellar pros
- 1000+ employees and $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
Thumbtack has multiple Software Engineer positions available in San Francisco, CA, and various unanticipated work locations throughout the USA.
- Develop software for Thumbtack’s applications and large-scale distributed systems, using a variety of scripting languages and big data ecosystems.
- Build new product features and architect infrastructure to support a fast-growing user base.
- Debug software and maintain operational systems for Thumbtack.com.
- Write high quality, maintainable code with large-scale distributed systems using tools in the big data ecosystem.
- Design and build Thumbtack.com’s software infrastructure to maintain stability and scale.
- Define and implement standards that help the company create a consistent, quality experience for its users across all software interfaces.
- Conduct statistical analysis and verify quality of code using A/B testing.
- Build out altering and monitoring for productions systems.
- Collaborate with engineering, product, and design groups to execute on a diverse range of software development projects and gather valuable user insights for both internal and external clients.
- Telecommuting permitted.
What you'll need
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related technical field.
- Five (5) years of post-baccalaureate, progressive work experience in the job offered or in a software development-related occupation.
- Minimum one (1) year of experience required in each of the following skills:
- Programming languages including Java, Python, Go, or C++
- Object-oriented code design
- SQL or NoSQL databases
- Web application development, including client and server applications and databases
- Computer data structures and algorithms
- Testing and deployment of code changes
- Troubleshooting and debugging software applications to address and fix software issues
The expected salary range for the role is currently $191,250 - $258,750. Actual offered salaries will vary and will be based on various factors, such as calibrated job level, qualifications, skills, competencies, and proficiency for the role.
- Virtual-first working model coupled with in-person events
- 20+ company-wide holidays including two week-long shutdowns
- Libraries (collaborative workspaces) in San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto, and Manila
- Stipends for remote work support, home office set-up and Thumbtack services (North America)
- WiFi reimbursements
- Cell phone reimbursements (North America)
- Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
Learn More About Us
- Life @ Thumbtack Blog
- How Thumbtack is embracing virtual work
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Meet the pros who inspire us
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, state, or local law. We also will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable law.
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.