A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn’t come with a manual. That's why we’re building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes — knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $600B+ industry — we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We’re seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we’ll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in all 3,143 U.S. counties
- 75 million+ projects started on Thumbtack
- About 4 million customers in the last 12 months
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- About 10 million 5-star reviews for our stellar pros
- 1000+ employees and $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
Thumbtack has multiple Software Engineer positions available in San Francisco, CA, and various unanticipated work locations throughout the USA.
- Develop software for Thumbtack’s applications and large-scale distributed systems, using a variety of programming languages and cloud computing technologies.
- Build new product features and architect infrastructure to support a fast-growing user base.
- Write high-quality, maintainable, and scalable code in large-scale distributed systems environments.
- Write unit tests and integration tests, debug software, build alerting and monitoring systems, and maintain operations for Thumbtack’s website.
- Conduct statistical analysis and evaluate the performance of new product features using A/B testing.
- Process large-scale production data using Big Data ecosystem (Google Cloud, BigQuery, Spark, etc) to support marketing and sales.
- Build machine learning infrastructure across areas like feature engineering, model experimentation, model inference, and model monitoring.
- Define and implement standards that help the company create a consistent, quality experience for its users across all software platforms.
- Collaborate with engineering, product, marketing, sales, and design groups to execute a diverse range of software development projects and gather valuable user insights for both internal and external clients.
- Telecommuting permitted.
What you'll need
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related technical field.
- Education or experience must include:
- Programming languages including Java, Python, and C++;
- Object-oriented design;
- Data structures and algorithms;
- Networks and computer systems;
- Relational and NoSQL Databases including database schema design and writing SQL queries;
- Big data technologies including Hive, Hbase, Spark, Bigquery, and Hadoop;
- Web development on server side using cloud computing technologies and frameworks;
- Writing models and optimizing training process for machine learning and deep learning;
- Statistical data analysis and high volume data processing and exploration.
The expected salary range for the role is currently $191,250 - $258,750. Actual offered salaries will vary and will be based on various factors, such as calibrated job level, qualifications, skills, competencies, and proficiency for the role.
- Virtual-first working model coupled with in-person events
- 20+ company-wide holidays including two week-long shutdowns
- Libraries (collaborative workspaces) in San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto, and Manila
- Stipends for remote work support, home office set-up and Thumbtack services (North America)
- WiFi reimbursements
- Cell phone reimbursements (North America)
- Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
Learn More About Us
- Life @ Thumbtack Blog
- How Thumbtack is embracing virtual work
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Meet the pros who inspire us
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, state, or local law. We also will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable law.
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.