A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn’t come with a manual. That's why we’re building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes — knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $600B+ industry — we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We’re seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we’ll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in all 3,143 U.S. counties
- 75 million projects started on Thumbtack
- 4 million customers in the last 12 months
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- More than 9 million 5-star reviews for our stellar pros
- 1000+ employees and $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
About the Operations Data Science Team
Thumbtack’s Ops Data Science team is a tight-knit group charged with providing actionable insights for Thumbtack’s Trust and Safety, Support Operations, Sales, Partnerships, and Product Operations teams. We collaborate with various groups across the company on a wide variety of projects; everything from click-level data from our online HelpCenter, to call-level data from our outbound sales teams, to search- and conversation-level data between pros and customers from our product database. The Ops Data Science team is part of a global team of more than 40 data scientists across the United States and Canada.
About the Role
As a Senior Data Scientist, you’ll partner with product and operations leaders in shaping the strategy for the Trust and Safety and Support Operations teams. Data Scientists also collaborate with partners in Internal Tools, Data Engineering, and Product teams on broader efforts where product and operations overlap. You’ll be a leading voice and proactive contributor driving impact on key focus areas such as user credentialing requirements, guarantee offerings, operationalizing user segmentations, developing unit economics for support teams, and scaling strategic initiatives while controlling costs. To accomplish this, you’ll be expected to quickly build technical and content expertise about our platform, as well as the touch-points through which the operations teams interact with our pros and customers. You’ll be involved in scoping, prioritization and execution of tasks related to new company initiatives and programs while also gathering, organizing and presenting insights, trends and predictions to partners and stakeholders.
- Partner with leaders of Thumbtack’s Trust and Safety and Support Operations teams to conduct in-depth quantitative analyses that guide strategic decisions
- Make recommendations based on detailed analysis and a deep understanding of our business
- Build and maintain reports, models, metrics, and visualizations which provide insight into users’ experiences and business performance
- Work with Ops and Finance teams to measure impact of Trust and Safety and Support Operations initiatives
- Maintain SQL queries and dashboards that underpin analysis and reporting infrastructure
- Identify key drivers of core business outcomes through regression analyses and other statistical techniques
- Contribute to our team and company data culture through peer collaboration, training, coaching and more
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- BA/BS degree, preferably in Economics, Statistics, Math, or Computer Science
- Passion for using data to drive business impact in an operational environment, including running A/B experiments within operational processes
- Experience analyzing user experience data (both product and survey data), preferably in a technology or marketplace company
- Strong written and verbal communication skills: this role will require writing content and explaining results to internal and external audiences
- Strong experience using SQL to query large datasets, proficiency with data visualization software (e.g., Tableau, Looker), and familiarity with statistics/programming languages (e.g., R, Python)
- Ability to detect and debug data anomalies in complex operational processes and a track record of working with business leaders to drive improvements and efficiencies
- Demonstrated ability to self-motivate and drive projects independently as well as partner successfully with cross-functional teams
- Master’s degree in Applied Economics, Statistics, Data Science or related fields
- Familiarity with data science and processes of operational business lanes such as support or trust and safety orgs
- Demonstrated work experience organizing, manipulating, and producing analysis using contact center data from providers such as Genesys, UJET, NICE or Five9 and CRMs such as Salesforce, Hubspot, or ClickUp
- Working knowledge of Looker and LookML. You know how to use it effectively and have deep enough knowledge to grow the team by training others.
- Experience working with dbt Cloud, Jinja, and writing macros.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines.* Learn more about our virtual-first working model here.
- Virtual-first working model coupled with in-person events
- 20+ company-wide holidays including two week-long shutdowns
- Libraries (collaborative workspaces) in San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto, and Manila
- Stipends for remote work support, home office set-up and Thumbtack services (North America)
- WiFi reimbursements
- Cell phone reimbursements (North America)
- Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
Learn More About Us
- Life @ Thumbtack Blog
- How Thumbtack is embracing virtual work
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Meet the pros who inspire us
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, state, or local law. We also will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable law.
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.