A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn’t come with a manual. That's why we’re building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes — knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $600B+ industry — we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We’re seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we’ll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in all 3,143 U.S. counties
- 75 million projects started on Thumbtack
- 4 million customers in the last 12 months
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- More than 9 million 5-star reviews for our stellar pros
- 1000+ employees and $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
About the Technical Accounting and Financial Reporting Team
The Technical Accounting and Financial Reporting Team is responsible for all things related to financial reporting and technical accounting for the Company and is involved in all aspects of the business, ensuring that we properly account for significant and complex transactions, track and implement new accounting pronouncements, develop and document accounting policies, prepare all U.S. GAAP financials and disclosures, and implement new systems and processes to enhance the Company’s financial reporting function.
About the Role
As the Technical Accounting and Financial Reporting Manager you’ll have the exciting opportunity to work closely with all members of the Global Thumbtack Accounting team to implement policies and procedures, analyze complex deals, draft financial statements and help further build out the Company’s technical accounting and financial reporting function. Whether it's reporting on our financials, researching accounting literature, preparing a technical accounting memo, or answering questions on the application of Thumbtack's accounting policy, you will be a go-to resource for answering the "why" of Thumbtack's accounting positions. You’ll get to make a huge impact on implementing new systems and processes and further putting in place controls to aid the Company in maturing.
- Preparation and review of the accounting and disclosures for the Company's annual and interim financials and support quarterly/yearly audits
- Evaluation of the accounting treatment for all significant accounting transactions, monitor, research and implement relevant accounting standards, and draft technical accounting memorandums on significant and complex transactions to support accounting positions
- Review of contracts to identify technical accounting matters and ensure compliance with corporate and accounting policies
- Working cross-functionally within the organization to support various stakeholders on technical accounting and financial reporting matters, including but not limited to other Controllership functions, Financial Planning and Analysis and others, as well as owning these cross-function relationships in order to manage impacts of such matters across the organization
- Implementing new process and system improvements
- Performing internal controls in compliance with SOX related to reporting and other complex technical accounting areas
- Assisting with other duties and ad-hoc projects
What you'll need
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 6+ years of experience in accounting, including Big 4 accounting firm experience
- CPA license
- Public Accounting experience
- Experience within a public company environment in internal controls, technical accounting and SEC reporting
- Excellent communication (written and verbal), organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated- able to think independently, creatively, and opportunistically, a builders mindset
- Proven ability to collaborate cross functionally
Bonus points if you have
- Experience with NetSuite is a plus
- Experience with ASC 842, ASC 350, ASC 718, and ASC 230 is a plus
- Experience working for a tech company and building out processes across the Company
- Public Accounting experience at one of the Big 4 firm
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines.* Learn more about our virtual-first working model here. #LI-Remote
- Virtual-first working model coupled with quarterly in-person events and Camp Thumbtack
- 20+ company-wide holidays including two week-long shutdowns
- Libraries (collaborative workspaces) in San Francisco, Toronto, and Manila
- Stipends for remote work support, home office set-up and Thumbtack services
- Cell phone and WiFi reimbursements
- Subscriptions and Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
Learn More About Us
- Life @ Thumbtack Blog
- How Thumbtack is embracing virtual work
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Meet the pros who inspire us
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, state, or local law. We also will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable law.
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact: email@example.com.