A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn’t come with a manual. That's why we’re building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes — knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $500B industry — we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We’re seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we’ll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in all 3,143 U.S. counties
- 70 million projects started on Thumbtack
- More than 4 million customers in the last 12 months
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- More than 8 million 5-star reviews for our stellar pros
- 1000+ employees and $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
About the Employee Experience Team
At Thumbtack, we believe in the power of our people. We know that with the right culture, development and support, our people can achieve anything.
The Employee Experience team within the People/HR organization builds meaningful employee experiences for all Thumbtackers globally within the framework of our Future of Work model. Our function leads Thumbtack’s Future of Work program management, and drives all in-person elements of our culture and work, including Real Estate & Workplace (aka “Thumbtack Libraries” - our reimagined “offices”), Community & Connection, and Travel & Events.
Our mission is to enhance employee wellbeing by fostering an inclusive environment where all employees have in-person opportunities to connect and form bonds with their peers in meaningful and memorable ways.
How We Work
Thumbtack believes in the power of virtual-first work to unlock a fundamentally better employee experience - empowering employees to work from anywhere while growing their careers at Thumbtack.
Virtual-first work as a day-to-day model allows us to operate as a unified team, maximizing impact regardless of location.
Simultaneously, our virtual-first work vision is grounded in the belief that in-person connections and events are the backbone for forming meaningful bonds, developing new relationships, building a strong sense of community & culture, and ultimately - building a stronger Thumbtack.
At Thumbtack, we are virtual first, but not virtual only!
About the Role
As our Workplace Manager, you will bring Thumbtack’s Library & Physical Environment vision to life, ensuring both efficient operations of our sites and incredible workplace experiences for the team members who visit these sites.
The role will lead our Facilities and Workplace Experience program, owning site operations and employee workplace experiences at our brand new custom-built San Francisco “Library,” as well as supporting & overseeing user experiences and site administrative needs at our regional coworking sites
As such, the role is part Facilities/Office Manager, part Community Builder/Event Planner, with expected 80% dedication to San Francisco based activities and 20% dedication to auxiliary sites and/or off-prem initiatives.
The ideal candidate is an experienced Facilities/Office Management professional who also has a strong passion for building a strong sense of community and culture and is excited to ideate, organize and promote light-weight social events & activities for groups of 20-80 employees.
While most roles at Thumbtack are fully remote, this role will be required to be onsite at our San Francisco Library, located at 415 Natoma Street, approximately 3.5 days per week on a flexible schedule established in partnership with your manager & based on the needs of the site.
In this role, you will be the “face” and primary point of contact for our 415 Natoma location. You will be a value-adding member of our Employee Experience team, ensuring that culture, workplace services, workplace operations, communication, and on-prem events & activities are engaging and consistent across our portfolio.
- Day-to-Day Site Operations. Managing day-to-day operations of the San Francisco site, including: greeting and supporting local employees, traveling employees, and onsite guests; monitoring, ordering & stocking supplies; ensuring the safety and tidiness of the space; space planning & event/meeting set-ups; food & beverage management; and shipping/mail management.
- Event & Activity Coordination. End-to-end planning and execution of local SF community & site-based gatherings and events to curate desirable and engaging experiences for local team members; inclusive of scheduling, communication, budgeting, and coordination with IT and AV/Events partners, with a deep passion for engaging teams and curating exceptional on-prem events & activities (e.g., Library events, Happy Hours, internal meetings, special events, etc.)
- Ongoing Site Operations & Experience. Managing all ongoing operations required to sustain the SF site, including: asset tagging and asset management; visitor and access management systems and processes; security and safety management planning; space planning; Enhance the workplace experience program and create an inclusive environment that increases creativity, productivity and well-being and elicits energy and engagement in the workplace; Drive excellence in our employee experience and workplace operation and address process or program gaps & inefficiencies
- Vendor & Partner Management / Liaison. Managing third-party vendors, service orders, and relationships associated with building operations (at all sites, but primarily SF), including establishing contracts and routine service, facilitating emergency service or repair, maintaining vendor communication, escorting vendors, ensuring cost effective arrangement; Establishing a collaborative and productive partnership with the Landlord and Property Management teams to ensure swift resolution of issues, timely communication, and marketing of amenities.
- Communications. In all Library markets, and primarily in San Francisco, communicating with key stakeholders (e.g., local attendee population, stakeholders, leadership, landlord/property management, vendors) via multiple channels (e.g., email, slack, zendesk, etc.) to not only answer inquiries, but to proactively share relevant information and most importantly, engage the local community and contribute to / promote a strong local culture; Contribute to the the Intranet and create employee communications that educate and motivate employees.
- Budgeting, KPI’s, Metrics & Reporting. Maintain a monthly OpEx & CapEx budget for the San Francisco site and work closely with the Sr. Director of Employee Experience and EX Team Ops Coordinator to streamline and forecast monthly spending and budgets across all sites. Create, establish and monitor site KPI’s & metrics and create monthly usage and assessment reports for senior leadership, inclusive of site attendance, maintenance/safety, incidents, orders, etc.; Manage internal workplace/performance tools (e.g., Space Planning, FM dashboards, Asset Management Systems, Access Security & Visitor steyms, etc.) in such a way that site data is readily available and digestible.
- Cross-Functional Partnership. Partnering closely with IT, InfoSec, Finance, the Employee Experience team, the People Ops team, the A-team, and with local employee leadership groups on various tasks and strategies to sustain and enhance the workplace, inclusive of creating standard operating procedures and best practices; budget management, event planning, community organization, health & safety, site operations and security, and more for all opportunities to enhance the on-prem employee experience.
- Auxiliary site support. Provide as-needed operational, event, communications, and general facilities and/or real estate support to our auxiliary sites (currently: a WeWork in Toronto, a sublet site in Salt Lake City) inclusive of the responsibilities above as needed, in addition to sublease management support and tenant relationships.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 4+ years demonstrated success managing each of the above responsibilities & providing direct office support in roles such as an Office Manager, Facilities professional, Workplace/Workplace Experience professional; or equivalent experience.
- A driven self-starter, who leads with both enthusiasm and operational rigor in day-to-day site management and employee on site experience. This individual thrives in a position where they can create systems & manage processes, propose solutions and strategies, and ideate & implement creative and engaging employee activities, events, and communications.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with high proficiency using G-Suite programs (Slides, Docs, Sheets, and GMail) to convey ideas and produce readouts & reports.
- Exceptionally strong interpersonal skills, with ability to interact positively & supportively with all employees, build relationships and partner with XFN partners internally & externally, influence key stakeholders, and negotiate with external vendors & partners.
- A culture carrier with a deep passion for the employee experience and proven ability and desire to plan events, activities, and opportunities for employees to gather and connect.
- Working knowledge of site related Opex & Capex budget management.
- Ability to be onsite a minimum of 3 days a week at 415 Natoma Street in San Francisco, participate in monthly local events (sometimes off-hours), travel domestically approximately 4 times per year, and periodically move materials/boxes/furniture up to 40 lbs.
- Experience with Corporate Real Estate, including lease abstraction, new site builds, lease negotiations, estoppel requests, site decomissions
- Experience working in a fast-paced & high-growth tech company with distributed teams, managing multiple facilities/offices/sites simultaneously
- Experience overseeing and creating corporate sustainability, environmental, safety, and emergency management programs
- Experience developing and and monitoring Service Level Agreements & Key Performance Indicators rooted in FM, RE & Workplace expertise
While Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning employees have the flexibility to live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines*, this role is closely aligned with our day-to-day Thumbtack library operations and is expected to report to the Thumbtack library in San Francisco, California on a regular cadence when it is safe to resume in-person operations. We always prioritize the health and safety of our employees. Library use requires employees to be fully vaccinated.
- Virtual-first working model coupled with quarterly in-person events and Camp Thumbtack
- 20+ company-wide holidays including two week-long shutdowns
- Libraries (collaborative workspaces) in San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto, and Manila
- Stipends for remote work support, home office set-up and internet
- Subscriptions and Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
- Cell Phone Reimbursement, Thumbtack services (North America only)
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact email@example.com.