A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn’t come with a manual. That's why we’re building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes — knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $500B industry — we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We’re seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we’ll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in all 3,143 U.S. counties
- 70 million projects started on Thumbtack
- More than 4 million customers in the last 12 months
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- More than 8 million 5-star reviews for our stellar pros
- 1000+ employees and $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
About the People Team
Our People Team is at the forefront of building a world-class virtual first company and being a leader on Future of Work. Our People team believes in the power of our people. We craft an employee experience that starts with hiring incredible people, investing in their career development and providing a holistic approach to benefits and wellness.
About the Role
Reporting directly to the Sr. Director of HR Operations, you will own strategic planning, hands-on configuration, and day-to-day administration of our Workday HRIS system, ensuring we are leveraging our investment to drive efficiency, effectiveness, and employee experience globally. You will Identify and assess opportunities, evaluate and propose solutions, develop short and long-term plans, and implement, configure and manage projects to completion. In addition will be responsible for handling escalations and ensuring the smooth day-to-day operation of our People processes in Workday and across integrated systems and platforms. You will manage one Workday HRIS Lead and partner with the rest of HR Operations and other key stakeholders, such as Finance, Recruiting, HRBP, Legal, and IT, to build an HR tech stack that is globally-aligned, scalable, compliant and employee-centric.
- Administer and maintain our Workday HRIS, including enhancements, maintenance and system upgrades, for HCM, US Payroll, Time Tracking, Absence, Benefits, Talent Optimization, Learning, Reporting, and Security, ensuring our Workday configuration is globally aligned, legally compliant, scalable, and employee-centric.
- Serves as business consultant to People, Finance, IT and other partner teams, understanding current and future needs and translating them into a prioritized, forward-looking, strategic roadmap and specific project plans and timelines.
- Partner with functional areas to automate People processes and requirements, partnering with IT and others to evaluate Workday capabilities as potential solutions and suggest alternatives.
- Lead and participate in cross-functional projects to improve or expand our utilization of Workday, engaging other teams and departments to align on objectives, set milestones, and deliver measurable results
- Ensure smooth and seamless day-to-day operations, providing guidance on escalations and resolving complex issues and tickets in support of the People, Payroll, and end users that utilize Workday
- Manage vendors and partners integrated with Workday to ensure we are receiving the most value from all of our external and internal relationships and technologies.
- Manage, coach and develop HRIS team members, driving engagement and helping them to develop and expand their technical expertise and impact at Thumbtack
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 7-10+ years of HRIS and Workday experience or equivalent, including Workday Pro certification and/or extensive relevant experience, with HCM, US Payroll, Time Tracking, Absence, Benefits, Talent Optimization, Learning, Reporting, Security
- 3+ years people management experience with a track record of mentoring, coaching, and developing employees
- Strong analytical skills with a history of identifying and driving measurable improvements through automation, configuration, and implementation of Workday functionality
- Experience roadmapping and gathering requirements, transforming business partner asks into proposed solutions with clear alternatives and explanations accessible to non-technical partners.
- Cross-functional project management experience with a track record of ensuring all voices are heard, building alignment, and driving projects with clear objectives, milestones, and deadlines
- Demonstrated familiarity with HR legal and regulatory compliance and best practices as implemented in Workday
- Experience with vendor management and integrations, including applicant tracking system and global payroll vendor integrations
- Experience working in a global company with multiple countries across multiple time zones and the ability to flexibly work some early mornings or late evenings to attend meetings
- Experience working with Workday Studio integrations with Greenhouse recruiting and Cloudpay payroll
- Experience working with Canada and/or the Philippines
- Experience with Workday Financial Planning, ZenDesk ticketing, Reflektive performance management, and/or Pave compensation tool
- Enjoys learning new things, seeking out greater responsibilities and driving best practice beyond assigned “scope of responsibility.”
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines*. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries. We always prioritize the health and safety of our employees. Currently, participation in these events and Thumbtack library use are optional. Both require employees to be fully vaccinated.
- Virtual-first working model coupled with quarterly in-person events and Camp Thumbtack
- 20+ company-wide holidays including two week-long shutdowns
- Libraries (collaborative workspaces) in San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto, and Manila
- Stipends for remote work support, home office set-up and internet
- Subscriptions and Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
- Cell Phone Reimbursement, Thumbtack services (North America only)
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.