A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn’t come with a manual. That's why we’re building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes — knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $500B industry — we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We’re seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we’ll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in all 3,143 U.S. counties
- 70 million projects started on Thumbtack
- More than 4 million customers in the last 12 months
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- More than 8 million 5-star reviews for our stellar pros
- 1000+ employees and $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
Pro Expansion is a product team that works cross-functionally to help professionals expand their businesses on Thumbtack. The team consists of engineers across the entire stack (backend, Android, web, and iOS) who work together to develop and iterate on new features for pros on the platform. We collaborate with our partners across product, research, design, analytics, marketing, and customer success to bring a well-rounded experience to pros. Pro Expansion owns many critical parts of the pro-facing product including recommendations, budgets and bids for leads, and the loyalty and rewards program.
The challenges on Pro Expansion range from product questions about the information architecture of the Thumbtack pro platform, to interesting technical explorations on how to best optimize our recommendation engine to be most valuable to our pros. We are constantly looking for new ways to help pros expand on Thumbtack and better serve their customers. The work we do affects pros in their day-to-day lives, so it’s critical that we get it right.
- Drive engineering projects to completion, with a tenacious focus on the business impact of those projects. Skilled at prioritizing tasks to deliver on goals with a sense of urgency
- Execute new ideas quickly and effectively in Android while also being a resource to other teams and engineers
- Willing, when necessary, to solve tough technical problems at any level of the stack, and be persistent in getting to the solution
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams such as Product and Design to plan and execute on engineering projects
- Work on large projects and lead small teams of engineers
- Minimum of 5 years of industry experience in engineering
- Hands-on experience with Kotlin or Java
- Passionate Android engineer comfortable in building, testing, releasing, and maintaining Android applications
- Excited by the potential of mobile technology to transform the lives of small businesses around the country
- Experience with popular 3rd party libraries, frameworks, and services like RxJava, ButterKnife, AutoValue, Retrofit, Dagger, Crashlytics, and Amplitude, including when not to use one
- Strong eye for beautiful design and user experience
- Familiarity with Material design principles and components
- Able to explain technical concepts clearly and write good documentation
- You’re data-driven and dedicated to thorough testing to maintain high-quality software
Learn More About Us
Benefits & Perks
- Virtual-first working model coupled with quarterly in-person events and Camp Thumbtack
- 20+ company-wide holidays including two week-long shutdowns
- Libraries (collaborative workspaces) in San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto, and Manila
- Stipends for remote work support, home office set-up and Thumbtack services
- Cell phone and WiFi reimbursements
- Subscriptions and Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact email@example.com.