We’re the technology leader building the modern home management platform. Today, millions of people use Thumbtack to effortlessly manage their homes. We help them confidently know what to do, when to do it and who to hire.
Our goal is simple: to be the only platform homeowners need to fix, maintain and improve their homes. As a long-term partner for homeowners, our promise is to turn what was once confusing and intimidating into something straightforward — and a lot less stressful.
At Thumbtack, we're not just creating a new era of homeownership. We’re supporting local economies and building stronger communities. Each day, we connect local professionals across America with busy homeowners so they can grow their businesses.
Thumbtack is for everyone. Our customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Our North Star is bright and our ambitions are big. We’ve been at this for over a decade, but the way we see it: we’re just getting started.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available in all 3,143 U.S. counties.
- Nearly 4.5 million customers in the last 12 months
- Hundreds of thousands of local professionals on our platform
- 65 million projects started on Thumbtack
- Over 7.5 million 5-star reviews left for stellar pros
About Research & Design At Thumbtack
We’re a tight-knit and highly-collaborative team of designers, researchers, and writers working closely with analysts, engineers, and product managers to discover, evaluate, and iterate on well-crafted user experiences that are innovative, engaging, and delightful. We collaborate regularly through critiques, work sessions, and presentations to inspire and inform the direction of the product and company as a whole. As a small but mighty team we are also developing resources to scale impact to other functions, including educational content, trainings, and standardized processes.
You are passionate about developing empathy with our users, especially with our core customers, and delivering insights that help us create experiences that fulfill their needs. You have a few years of effective cross-functional collaboration experience and you strive to create product experiences that users share and evangelize. You’re a great communicator and story-teller, and can help product teams better understand and advocate for their users. Your focus is on qualitative research methodologies, but you have working knowledge of quantitative methodologies as well.
About The Role
Researchers at Thumbtack are embedded within product teams and serve as advocates for the needs of customers and pros alike. You will be responsible for scoping and executing research projects (often with overlapping timelines) and providing insights that will drive key product decisions. Our team uses a mix of qualitative and quantitative methods but no one is an expert on everything. We hope you will bring unique expertise and perspectives that can further amplify our team.\
- Collaborate closely with multiple teams within the organization to identify and prioritize research topics in a fast-paced environment.
- Determine the approach and conduct research from strategic discovery about user needs to tactical evaluations of design decisions.
- Synthesize feedback to generate insights and provide clear and concise design and strategy recommendations.
- Share research findings with smaller functional teams and the company at-large by creating and distributing compelling, impactful reports and presentations.
- Assess larger user trends and determine strategies for further investigation and/or synthesis to inform company strategy and planning.
- Work collaboratively within the research team to improve our team’s processes (including recruiting participants, setting up studies, collecting data, processing results, and sharing out findings).
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Three to five years of professional experience in applied user-centered research that informed the design of products, services, or experiences
- Fluent in Spanish
- Strong understanding of strengths and shortcomings of various qualitative and quantitative research methods, including when and how to apply them
- Experience conducting qualitative or quantitative research, including unbiased data collection and analysis
- Demonstrated success influencing product, service, and/or design decisions based on research insights
- Excellent cross-functional collaboration and communication skills
- BA/BS in a field dedicated to either understanding some aspect of human behavior and/or creating intuitive interfaces between humans and technology, or equivalent practical experience
- MA/MS or PhD in one of the previously mentioned academic fields
- Experience using a variety of research tools (such as Qualtrics, Validately, Optimal Workshop, Ethnio).
- Experience with advanced quantitative analysis (e.g. inferential statistics)
- Coding experience (e.g. writing SQL queries, analyzing data in R)
- Experience working remotely
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries. We always prioritize the health and safety of our employees. Currently, participation in these events and Thumbtack library use are optional. Both require employees to be fully vaccinated.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a technology leader building the modern home management platform. Through the Thumbtack app, homeowners can effortlessly manage their homes — confidently knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. Bringing the $500 billion home services industry online, Thumbtack empowers millions of homeowners to fix, maintain, and improve their most valuable asset.
Founded in 2008, Thumbtack is backed by over $500 million in funding from folks that include Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Discover our virtual first plan
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.