We’re the technology leader building the modern home management platform. Today, millions of people use Thumbtack to effortlessly manage their homes. We help them confidently know what to do, when to do it and who to hire.
Our goal is simple: to be the only platform homeowners need to fix, maintain and improve their homes. As a long-term partner for homeowners, our promise is to turn what was once confusing and intimidating into something straightforward — and a lot less stressful.
At Thumbtack, we're not just creating a new era of homeownership. We’re supporting local economies and building stronger communities. Each day, we connect local professionals across America with busy homeowners so they can grow their businesses.
Thumbtack is for everyone. Our customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Our North Star is bright and our ambitions are big. We’ve been at this for over a decade, but the way we see it: we’re just getting started.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available in all 3,143 U.S. counties.
- Nearly 4.5 million customers in the last 12 months
- Hundreds of thousands of local professionals on our platform
- 65 million projects started on Thumbtack
- Over 7.5 million 5-star reviews left for stellar pros
About the Engineering Team
At Thumbtack, engineers at every level build products and systems that directly impact our customers and professionals. Our challenges span a wide variety of areas, ranging from building search and booking experiences, to optimizing pricing systems, to building tools to help professionals grow their businesses. We believe in tackling these hard problems together as a team, with strong values around collaboration, ownership and transparency. To read more about the hard problems that our team is taking on, visit our engineering blog.
About the Role
As a Senior Data Platform Engineer, you will work closely with product, data, and machine learning engineering teams across Thumbtack, and help build the future of data collection and processing, product experimentation, and large-scale computation. As a pillar of the engineering and product organizations’ work, the Data Platform team is a team of talented and experienced engineers with a large amount of collective experience, which provides a great balance of opportunity for mentorship, but also outsized impact. You’ll work with Product Application Engineers, Machine Learning Engineers, and Data Scientists to understand current needs, and develop data platform solutions that will help us unlock User Experience and Marketplace innovation. Major project areas include:
- Rebuild end-to-end event tooling to support data governance and enhance durability with Apache Kafka,
- Evaluate, develop standardized tooling for, and evangelize real-time compute technology,
- Develop the Data Tooling SDK to simplify experience of Product & Data Engineers developing data systems,
- Collaborate with Machine Learning Infrastructure Engineers to unlock ML productivity across the company
- Drive engineering projects to completion, with a tenacious focus on the business impact of those projects. Skilled at prioritizing tasks to deliver on goals with a sense of urgency.
- Design, build, and maintain engineering surfaces that support a rapidly evolving product, serving Product Engineering, Data Science, and Machine Learning.
- Evaluate new technologies in the BI/Data Engineering/Analytics Infrastructure space, and help build the long-term roadmap for data management, observability, et al.
- Support data quality initiatives across key product and business areas.
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams to plan and execute on engineering projects.
- Build and maintain systems to ensure consistent, seamless product experimentation support, and measurement of key company and product metrics.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Minimum of 6+ years of industry experience in engineering.
- 2 or more years of experience working in building internal data platforms, or heavily using internal or third-party data platforms and tooling.
- Strong understanding of modern data processing paradigms and tooling, OLTP & OLAP database fundamentals.
- Strong proficiency in one or more programming languages frequently used in a modern data stack, such as Python, Scala, and/or SQL.
- Solid understanding of common data engineering and integration tasks (data ingestion & validation, clickstream data processing, data warehousing, et al).
- Strong sense of ownership and pride in your work, from ideation and requirements-gathering to project completion and maintenance.
- Excellent ability to understand the needs of and collaborate with stakeholders in other functions, and identify opportunities for process improvements.
- Experience with any of: Airflow, Spark, Scala, Beam, Parquet
- Expertise in SQL for analytics/reporting/business intelligence, including basic comprehension of query execution plans, and query tuning/optimization for Google BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, Snowflake, or similar.
- Experience working with semi- or unstructured data in a data lake.
- Experience working in data engineering or a similar discipline at an online marketplace or similar consumer technology company.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines*. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries. We always prioritize the health and safety of our employees. Currently, participation in these events and Thumbtack library use are optional. Both require employees to be fully vaccinated.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a technology leader building the modern home management platform. Through the Thumbtack app, homeowners can effortlessly manage their homes — confidently knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. Bringing the $500 billion home services industry online, Thumbtack empowers millions of homeowners to fix, maintain, and improve their most valuable asset.
Founded in 2008, Thumbtack is backed by over $500 million in funding from folks that include Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Discover our virtual first plan
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.