We’re the technology leader building the modern home management platform. Today, millions of people use Thumbtack to effortlessly manage their homes. We help them confidently know what to do, when to do it and who to hire.
Our goal is simple: to be the only platform homeowners need to fix, maintain and improve their homes. As a long-term partner for homeowners, our promise is to turn what was once confusing and intimidating into something straightforward — and a lot less stressful.
At Thumbtack, we're not just creating a new era of homeownership. We’re supporting local economies and building stronger communities. Each day, we connect local professionals across America with busy homeowners so they can grow their businesses.
Thumbtack is for everyone. Our customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Our North Star is bright and our ambitions are big. We’ve been at this for over a decade, but the way we see it: we’re just getting started.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available in all 3,143 U.S. counties.
- Nearly 4.5 million customers in the last 12 months
- Hundreds of thousands of local professionals on our platform
- 65 million projects started on Thumbtack
- Over 7.5 million 5-star reviews left for stellar pros
About the Business Analytics Team
The Business Analytics team’s mission is to unlock strategic opportunities and enable Thumbtack to achieve its full business potential. To accomplish this mission, we focus on:
- Strategic insights: Analytics to uncover insights that will be game-changers for our business, and that inform company strategy and team execution.
- Business performance: Metrics, dashboards, and forums that help us measure progress towards our goals and foster deep understanding of our business.
- Telling Thumbtack’s story: Using metrics and data visualization to tell Thumbtack’s story to investors, board members, our team, and the world.
- Building a world-class team: hiring the best, and investing in coaching, learning, and team building.
We are a tight-knit group that is passionate about driving business impact through analytics.
About the Role
As a Business Analytics team member, you’ll drive insights and action across the breadth of the marketplace. You’ll be a steward of key company metrics and dashboards, and dive deep on analytical questions that are critical to Thumbtack’s success. You’ll partner with our leadership team to develop company strategy and goals, share performance updates with the Board, and work with teams across the business to drive actionable insights and business impact. This particular role will focus on business intelligence and business performance reporting.
You’ll be a great fit for the team if:
- You’re extremely data-driven -- you love learning from data to make decisions, and always seem to have data at your fingertips
- You geek out on metrics and dashboards -- you enjoy tracking trends, and have a driving curiosity to understand what’s driving them
- You enjoy answering big questions with analysis, and diving deep to reveal insightful and actionable insights
- You’re passionate about measuring business impact, and drawing the connection between what teams are building and how it impacts company metrics
- You enjoy roles that enable you to understand the breadth of the business (vs. focusing on one specific area) and partner with people across the company
- You appreciate the power that analytics has to enable the company to reach its full potential
- Define, measure, and track the key metrics that measure Thumbtack’s success
- Design and build key company data tables, dashboards, and insights tools that power decisions across the company, and evolve them as our product and business change
- Lead business performance analysis and reporting to inform leadership of emerging risks and opportunities
- Partner effectively with teams across the company, including Product, Engineering, Marketing, Operations, Finance, as well as Thumbtack’s leadership team
- Contribute to our team and company data culture through peer collaboration, training, coaching, and more
- BA/BS degree, preferably in Economics, Business, Math, Statistics, or Computer Science
- 2+ years of experience in a highly analytical role, preferably with experience in tech analytics
- Proficiency using SQL to analyze large data sets
- Basic knowledge of statistics
- Exemplary analytical problem solving skills, including strong business judgment and the ability to identify and synthesize insights from analysis
- Ability to work with company executives to understand the company’s business needs and drive decisions
- Strong communicator, attentive listener, and compelling explainer
- Prior work experience at a marketplace
- Strong statistics knowledge / experience
- Experience with R or Python
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines*. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries. We always prioritize the health and safety of our employees. Currently, participation in these events and Thumbtack library use are optional. Both require employees to be fully vaccinated.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a technology leader building the modern home management platform. Through the Thumbtack app, homeowners can effortlessly manage their homes — confidently knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. Bringing the $500 billion home services industry online, Thumbtack empowers millions of homeowners to fix, maintain, and improve their most valuable asset.
Founded in 2008, Thumbtack is backed by over $500 million in funding from folks that include Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Discover our virtual first plan
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.