We’re the technology leader building the modern home management platform. Today, millions of people use Thumbtack to effortlessly manage their homes. We help them confidently know what to do, when to do it and who to hire.
Our goal is simple: to be the only platform homeowners need to fix, maintain and improve their homes. As a long-term partner for homeowners, our promise is to turn what was once confusing and intimidating into something straightforward — and a lot less stressful.
At Thumbtack, we're not just creating a new era of homeownership. We’re supporting local economies and building stronger communities. Each day, we connect local professionals across America with busy homeowners so they can grow their businesses.
Thumbtack is for everyone. Our customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Our North Star is bright and our ambitions are big. We’ve been at this for over a decade, but the way we see it: we’re just getting started.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available in all 3,143 U.S. counties.
- Nearly 4.5 million customers in the last 12 months
- Hundreds of thousands of local professionals on our platform
- 65 million projects started on Thumbtack
- Over 7.5 million 5-star reviews left for stellar pros
About the Technical Program Management and Engineering Teams
Technical Program Management partners with all areas of the business and development teams to drive our portfolio of technical projects and programs from request through implementation and ongoing lifecycle management. It’s our mission to help all of Thumbtack get more done through technology and cross-functional coordination while optimizing value.
At Thumbtack, engineers at every level build products and systems that directly impact our customers and professionals. Our challenges span a wide variety of areas, ranging from architecting sound data and infrastructure to be leveraged across the company, to building search and booking experiences, to optimizing pricing systems, to building tools to help professionals grow their businesses. We believe in tackling these hard problems together as a team, with strong values around collaboration, ownership, and transparency. To read more about the hard problems that our team is taking on, visit our engineering blog.
About the Role
Thumbtack is looking for an experienced Technical Program Manager for our Platform Engineering organization. As the first dedicated TPM to this department at Thumbtack, we’re looking for the right person who’s excited about the unique and high impact opportunity to build something special. You will lead complex, multi-disciplinary projects in a program that spans critical systems & application infrastructure, data & machine learning systems, and overall developer experience, along with vendor-managed services and platforms. Your initiatives will impact our internal and external users, and require discipline, coordination, and execution across the company. From deployment of new technology, to large-scale infrastructure migrations, to definition of new processes, to enforcement of security measures and data governance, you will provide input and direction on solution design and prioritization, clarify outcomes and metrics, manage schedules and dependencies, and communicate progress with stakeholders and business leaders.
- Partner with business teams and engineering leadership to drive quarterly and annual planning. Help the team identify, define, prioritize, and resource objectives, key results, and initiatives
- Collaborate with business and engineering teams to define comprehensive requirements, come up with viable, scalable, future-proof solutions, and translate them into actionable project plans and tasks
- Utilize agile project management framework and techniques to plan, document, and manage both strategic and tactical initiatives from conception through delivery and closure
- Work closely with Engineering, Product, Analytics, Finance, Legal, IT, Business Applications, Security, and relevant leadership to manage complex cross-team dependencies and ensure delivery of quality solutions to both external and internal users
- Keep stakeholders, executives, contributors, and interested parties engaged, aligned on strategy and involvement, and up-to-date on project status and relevant details; escalate issues when necessary
- Ensure proper project closure by troubleshooting and resolving outstanding issues after launch, confirming solutions are in an acceptable state, and evaluating outcomes against objectives
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or 5+ years of relevant experience in the field
- Previous experience owning the planning and delivery of a cross-functional program or portfolio
- Expert in program management, agile project management, prioritization, and the software development lifecycle, with the ability to manage and prioritize many competing requests and cross-team dependencies
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills; able to make thoughtful proposals, provide root cause analysis and demonstrate results through testing and metrics
- General understanding of modern best practices in more than one of: infrastructure/operations; frontend, backend, and/or native client application development; data or machine learning infrastructure
- Experience and expertise in managing technical projects and programs related to the following:
- Running software applications on public cloud infrastructure (AWS, GCP, or Azure)
- Application development and architecture in large-scale environments
- Data infrastructure investments and tooling (build/buy, multi-cloud, etc.)
- Outstanding communication, collaboration, and interpersonal skills, with the ability to effectively set and manage stakeholder expectations
- Experience with a multi-platform product for a mix of internal and external users
- Previous hands-on engineering experience
- Compliance management experience (e.g. CCPA/CPRA, CAN-SPAM, WCAG, PCI DSS, SOX)
- Experience with event streaming infrastructure
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries. We always prioritize the health and safety of our employees. Currently, participation in these events and Thumbtack library use are optional. Both require employees to be fully vaccinated.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a technology leader building the modern home management platform. Through the Thumbtack app, homeowners can effortlessly manage their homes — confidently knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. Bringing the $500 billion home services industry online, Thumbtack empowers millions of homeowners to fix, maintain, and improve their most valuable asset.
Founded in 2008, Thumbtack is backed by over $500 million in funding from folks that include Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Discover our virtual first plan
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.