We’re the technology leader building the modern home management platform. Today, millions of people use Thumbtack to effortlessly manage their homes. We help them confidently know what to do, when to do it and who to hire.
Our goal is simple: to be the only platform homeowners need to fix, maintain and improve their homes. As a long-term partner for homeowners, our promise is to turn what was once confusing and intimidating into something straightforward — and a lot less stressful.
At Thumbtack, we're not just creating a new era of homeownership. We’re supporting local economies and building stronger communities. Each day, we connect local professionals across America with busy homeowners so they can grow their businesses.
Thumbtack is for everyone. Our customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Our North Star is bright and our ambitions are big. We’ve been at this for over a decade, but the way we see it: we’re just getting started.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available in all 3,143 U.S. counties.
- Nearly 4.5 million customers in the last 12 months
- Hundreds of thousands of local professionals on our platform
- 65 million projects started on Thumbtack
- Over 7.5 million 5-star reviews left for stellar pros
About the Internal Tools and IT Infrastructure Teams
The Internal Tools team is made up of 3 groups -- IT Infrastructure & Operations, Business Applications, and Technical Program Management & Procurement. Together, we deliver trusted, scalable, secure services and infrastructure to empower Thumbtack employees with the tools they need to get work done. We partner with the business and own our platform of internal tools throughout their lifecycle -- intake, prioritization, buy/build, implementation, support, and retirement.
IT Infrastructure & Operations enables Thumbtack to get things done. We excitedly engage teams, delivering systems, services and support that empower everyone to do the work they love, so our only limitations are our imaginations—not our technology.
About the Role
You will lead our IT Infrastructure team, charter and roadmap, and partner with the business to design, build, and support our internal network / systems platforms, tools, and services. In this cross-functional role you will work closely with stakeholders across the organization including engineering, technical program management, business applications, security, and IT. You will leverage your knowledge of systems architecture, cloud-hosted services, authentication / access systems, and security to help the team solve challenges big and small. You are a dynamic, seasoned manager who loves leading and developing technical teams, building strong relationships, and delivering world-class services.
- Build and grow a high performing IT Infrastructure team across network, platform/tools, infrastructure, and IAM, with a strong culture balancing operational excellence with moving fast.
- Partner with technical teams and the business to identify, recommend, develop, implement, and support high quality, scalable, cost-effective technology solutions for all of Thumbtack.
- Work with the team to set vision, strategy and direction, and drive planning for IT Infrastructure including: roadmapping, scoping, prioritization and resource allocation.
- Oversee IT Infrastructure end-to-end; lead and manage the teams, balance staffing, help with key technical decisions, remove blockers, provide guidance, and be accountable for performance.
- Evangelize and drive IT engineering best practices, and continuously assess and improve the quality, reliability, and supportability of our platforms, tools, and services.
- Own and manage relationships, budgets, approvals and costs for strategic vendors and partners.
- Work closely with other Engineering and IT leaders to evolve and continually improve Thumbtack’s culture.
- 7+ years of IT Infrastructure or Operations experience, including 3+ years leading and coaching managers and technical teams in a distributed, enterprise environment.
- Proven success building and scaling IT Infrastructure, including progressive hands-on experience in 1 or more areas – cloud platforms, systems, networking, identity access management, security.
- Strong technical skills and ability to guide the team in systems design, cross-functional architectural review, performance analysis, emerging technologies evaluations, migrations, etc.
- Expert analytical and problem solving skills; ability to make thoughtful proposals, provide root cause analysis, and lead teams to demonstrate results through testing and metrics.
- Track record of building and effectively managing large and diverse teams, and putting the appropriate people, processes and infrastructure in place to drive growth and scale.
- Outstanding leadership, communication, and collaboration skills, and thrives in a fast-paced, virtual first environment.
- Understanding of IT security / compliance standards and practices such as NIST, SOX, and PCI.
- In-depth experience managing the following systems (the more the better): AWS, Google Cloud Platform, Okta, Azure AD, Palo Alto Networks, Splunk, Infoblox, Google Workspace.
- Experience at a pre-IPO, growth-stage technology company or other fast-paced environment.
- Experience with agile project management methodologies and practices.
- Bachelor’s degree in IT, Computer Science or a related field
More About Us
Thumbtack is a technology leader building the modern home management platform. Through the Thumbtack app, homeowners can effortlessly manage their homes — confidently knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. Bringing the $500 billion home services industry online, Thumbtack empowers millions of homeowners to fix, maintain, and improve their most valuable asset.
Founded in 2008, Thumbtack is backed by over $500 million in funding from folks that include Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Discover our virtual first plan
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.