We’re the technology leader building the modern home management platform. Today, millions of people use Thumbtack to effortlessly manage their homes. We help them confidently know what to do, when to do it and who to hire.
Our goal is simple: to be the only platform homeowners need to fix, maintain and improve their homes. As a long-term partner for homeowners, our promise is to turn what was once confusing and intimidating into something straightforward — and a lot less stressful.
At Thumbtack, we're not just creating a new era of homeownership. We’re supporting local economies and building stronger communities. Each day, we connect local professionals across America with busy homeowners so they can grow their businesses.
Thumbtack is for everyone. Our customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Our North Star is bright and our ambitions are big. We’ve been at this for over a decade, but the way we see it: we’re just getting started.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available in all 3,143 U.S. counties.
- Nearly 4.5 million customers in the last 12 months
- Hundreds of thousands of local professionals on our platform
- 65 million projects started on Thumbtack
- Over 7.5 million 5-star reviews left for stellar pros
About the Engineering Team
At Thumbtack, engineers at every level build products and systems that directly impact our customers and professionals. Our challenges span a wide variety of areas, ranging from building search and booking experiences, to optimizing pricing systems, to building tools to help professionals grow their businesses. We believe in tackling these hard problems together as a team, with strong values around collaboration, ownership and transparency. To read more about the hard problems that our team is taking on, visit our engineering blog.
About the Role
As a Data Engineer, you will work closely with product and engineering teams throughout Thumbtack, and turn data into insight into action. We’re building a hybrid-embedded team of Data Engineers that consult directly with teams to help them better model the data necessary to build a better marketplace for local services. You’ll work to understand requirements, then design, deploy, test, and deploy data pipelines, as well as help architect the core data ecosystem for Analysts, Machine Learning Engineers, and Data Scientists. Major project areas include: designing a next-gen warehouse with DBT, developing advanced ingress/egress validation in the data lake, and modeling cost of supply acquisition for our two-sided marketplace.
- Design, build, and maintain data pipelines that support a rapidly evolving product, in partnership with our stellar Analytics and Data Services teams.
- Build and own the reporting pipelines that organize and structure our terabytes of data into digestible tables that empower analysis and reporting across the company
- Integrate with product teams throughout the org to understand their data needs, and deliver pipelines and insights with the same engineering rigor as any other software we design.
- Drive data quality across key product and business areas.
- Collaborate closely with analysts and engineers to ensure our analytics infrastructure helps meet company goals and allows product development to move quickly.
- Partner with data platform and product engineering teams to ensure consistent, seamless tracking and measurement of key company and product metrics.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 2 or more years of experience working in data engineering or a similar discipline, where your primary focus was on datastores and business intelligence, serving analysis and reporting functions.
- Experience building ETL data pipelines in a programming language like Python, SQL, or Scala.
- Expertise in SQL for analytics/reporting/business intelligence, including basic comprehension of query execution plans, and query tuning/optimization for Google BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, Snowflake, or similar.
- Experience designing, architecting, and maintaining a data warehouse that seamlessly stitches together data from production databases, clickstream event data, and external APIs to serve teams of analysts.
- Excellent ability to understand the needs of and collaborate with stakeholders in other functions, especially an Analytics team, and identify opportunities for process improvements.
- Experience using and/or configuring Business Intelligence tools (Tableau, Mode, Looker, et al).
- Experience working with semi- or unstructured data in a data lake.
- Experience working in data engineering or a similar discipline at an online marketplace or similar consumer technology company.
- Experience orchestrating data pipelines that serve hourly or daily metric reporting in Airflow or similar.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines*. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries. We always prioritize the health and safety of our employees. Currently, participation in these events and Thumbtack library use are optional. Both require employees to be fully vaccinated.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a technology leader building the modern home management platform. Through the Thumbtack app, homeowners can effortlessly manage their homes — confidently knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. Bringing the $500 billion home services industry online, Thumbtack empowers millions of homeowners to fix, maintain, and improve their most valuable asset.
Founded in 2008, Thumbtack is backed by over $500 million in funding from folks that include Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Discover our virtual first plan
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.