We’re the technology leader building the modern home management platform. Today, millions of people use Thumbtack to effortlessly manage their homes. We help them confidently know what to do, when to do it and who to hire.
Our goal is simple: to be the only platform homeowners need to fix, maintain and improve their homes. As a long-term partner for homeowners, our promise is to turn what was once confusing and intimidating into something straightforward — and a lot less stressful.
At Thumbtack, we're not just creating a new era of homeownership. We’re supporting local economies and building stronger communities. Each day, we connect local professionals across America with busy homeowners so they can grow their businesses.
Thumbtack is for everyone. Our customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Our North Star is bright and our ambitions are big. We’ve been at this for over a decade, but the way we see it: we’re just getting started.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available in all 3,143 U.S. counties.
- Nearly 4.5 million customers in the last 12 months
- Hundreds of thousands of local professionals on our platform
- 65 million projects started on Thumbtack
- Over 7.5 million 5-star reviews left for stellar pros
About the Technical Accounting and Financial Reporting Team
The Technical Accounting and Financial Reporting Team is responsible for all things related to financial reporting for the Company and is involved in all aspects of the business, ensuring that we properly account for significant and complex transactions, track and implement new accounting pronouncements, develop and document accounting policies, prepare all U.S. GAAP financials and disclosures, and implement new systems and processes to enhance the Company’s financial reporting function.
About the Role
As a Senior Accountant, you’ll have the exciting opportunity to come into a newly formed team and make a huge impact by assisting in the implementation of policies and procedures, analysis of complex deals, drafting financial statements and disclosures, assisting in systems implementation and process improvement, and helping put in place controls to aid the Company in maturing. You will work closely with the Accounting Team, which keeps the books and records for the Company and ensures that we properly capture, account for, and record all the activities that occur as they occur.
- Assist in building out the technical accounting and financial reporting function at Thumbtack, including researching the accounting treatment of significant accounting transactions, owning financial reporting schedules and workpapers, and assisting in system and process improvement projects
- Assist in the preparation of financial statements and disclosures for the Company's annual and interim financials as well as prepare monthly internal financial schedules, journal entries, reconciliation schedules, variance reporting, etc. for stock based compensation and other technical accounting matters
- Support quarterly/yearly audits including the preparation of supporting reports, memos and documentation, directly interact and manage relationships with external and internal auditors
- Assist in the evaluation of the accounting treatment for all significant accounting transactions, research and implement relevant accounting standards, and draft technical accounting memorandums on significant transactions to support accounting positions
- Assist in systems implementation and process improvement projects as well as other duties and ad hoc projects
- Work cross-functionally within the organization to support various stakeholders on technical accounting and financial reporting matters, including but not limited to other Controllership functions, Financial Planning and Analysis, and many others
- Perform internal controls in compliance with SOX related to reporting and other complex technical accounting areas
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 5+ years of experience in accounting, including Big 4 accounting firm experience
- 4 year degree in accounting
- CPA license
- Excellent communication (written and verbal), organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated- able to think independently, creatively, and opportunistically, have a builder's mindset and are passionate about learning and always wanting to improve processes.
- Proven ability to collaborate cross-functionally
- Experience with NetSuite and Workiva is a plus
- Experience with ASC 842, ASC 350, ASC 718, ASC 606 and ASC 230 is a plus
- Experience within a public company environment in technical accounting and financial reporting
- Experience working for a tech company and building out processes across the Company
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries. We always prioritize the health and safety of our employees. Currently, participation in these events and Thumbtack library use are optional. Both require employees to be fully vaccinated.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a technology leader building the modern home management platform. Through the Thumbtack app, homeowners can effortlessly manage their homes — confidently knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. Bringing the $500 billion home services industry online, Thumbtack empowers millions of homeowners to fix, maintain, and improve their most valuable asset.
Founded in 2008, Thumbtack is backed by over $500 million in funding from folks that include Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Discover our virtual first plan
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.