We’re the technology leader building the modern home management platform. Today, millions of people use Thumbtack to effortlessly manage their homes. We help them confidently know what to do, when to do it and who to hire.
Our goal is simple: to be the only platform homeowners need to fix, maintain and improve their homes. As a long-term partner for homeowners, our promise is to turn what was once confusing and intimidating into something straightforward — and a lot less stressful.
At Thumbtack, we're not just creating a new era of homeownership. We’re supporting local economies and building stronger communities. Each day, we connect local professionals across America with busy homeowners so they can grow their businesses.
Thumbtack is for everyone. Our customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Our North Star is bright and our ambitions are big. We’ve been at this for over a decade, but the way we see it: we’re just getting started.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available in all 3,143 U.S. counties.
- Nearly 4.5 million customers in the last 12 months
- Hundreds of thousands of local professionals on our platform
- 65 million projects started on Thumbtack
- Over 7.5 million 5-star reviews left for stellar pros
About the Trust and Safety Proactive Team
The Trust and Safety Proactive team leverages technical, design, and operational solutions to promote trust on the Thumbtack platform. We are developing cutting-edge strategies to mitigate risks to our users both online and in the real world. Thumbtack’s success is dependent on gaining and maintaining the trust of the customers and pros that use the platform.
About the Role
As a Risk Analyst, you will proactively identify and analyze threat, bad actor, and fraud trends on Thumbtack, and provide risk mitigation recommendations to the broader Trust and Safety Team. You will also create and automate the processes that protect our marketplace and you’ll contribute to our greater team data culture by sharing your learnings, partnering with others, and building new capabilities to empower data-driven decisions. You will be obsessed with trying to prevent negative experiences before they happen, and when they do happen, learn from them to improve in the future. This will require creativity, collaboration, and a lot of drive. You’ll be expected to quickly build technical and content expertise about our platform, as well as the touch-points through which the operations teams interact with our pros and customers.
- Perform data analysis to derive insights from our platform.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Customer Service, Engineering, Operations, and Product teams to increase automation, update policies, fix product loopholes and provide a better online experience for our users.
- Enhance our operational workflows via process improvements and identify automation opportunities.
- Effectively work with a team of peers focused on mutual support to complete projects.
- Quickly and appropriately respond to escalated situations to mitigate any negative impact to Thumbtack users.
- Prioritize activities and tasks based on importance to drive completion of department goals.
- Contribute to our team and company culture through peer collaboration, training and personal development.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- At least 2 years relevant experience in fraud prevention, trust & safety, or risk analysis/management
- Experience understanding basic SQL or other query languages
- Experience with Excel and/or Google Sheets knowledge
- Exceptional analytical, problem-solving, and strategic thinking skills
- Project Management Experience
- Excellent decision-making skills with the ability to process large amounts of data to determine the best possible solution
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a self-directed manner and report back
- The ability to break down a concept to its core and think critically about solutions
- Experience writing basic SQL or other query languages is preferable
- Process improvement experience is a plus
- Strong operational experience. Able to create a complex process and teach others how to run it.
- Good presentation design and delivery skills
- Salesforce Experience
- Tableau/Data Visualization experience
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines*. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries. We always prioritize the health and safety of our employees. Currently, participation in these events and Thumbtack library use are optional. Both require employees to be fully vaccinated.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a technology leader building the modern home management platform. Through the Thumbtack app, homeowners can effortlessly manage their homes — confidently knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. Bringing the $500 billion home services industry online, Thumbtack empowers millions of homeowners to fix, maintain, and improve their most valuable asset.
Founded in 2008, Thumbtack is backed by over $500 million in funding from folks that include Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Discover our virtual first plan
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.