A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn’t come with a manual. That's why we’re building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes — knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $500B industry — we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We’re seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we’ll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in all 3,143 U.S. counties
- 70 million projects started on Thumbtack
- More than 4 million customers in the last 12 months
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- More than 8 million 5-star reviews for our stellar pros
- 1000+ employees and $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
About the Design Team
We’re a tight-knit and highly-collaborative team of product designers, researchers, product writers, and design ops working closely with engineers and product managers to research, explore, and iterate on user experiences that are engaging and useful. We collaborate regularly through design reviews, work sessions, and presentations to inspire and influence the direction of the product and company as a whole.
About the Role
Our design team is most effective when designers have excellent managers coaching and developing them, giving thoughtful design feedback, and clearing obstacles. Our Product Design Managers also play a critical role in collaborating with cross-functional partners to set the vision and define the product strategy.
- Mentor and manage a team of product designers – including defining clear goals, prioritizing work, and building a culture that fosters trust and respect.
- Guide ongoing design work and uphold a high quality bar for the user experience.
- Facilitate collaboration between product design and various other functions, such as user research, brand marketing, engineering, product management, and analytics.
- Collaborate with other cross-functional leaders to define the vision, strategy, and goals for your product area.
- Create alignment by communicating plans and strategies with cross-functional product teams, senior leadership, and the design team.
- Recruit, interview, and hire great product designers.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 4+ years of experience working as part of a design team; 1+ years of experience managing product designers
- User-centric approach to designing products
- Emotional intelligence—the ability to understand what each individual on your team needs to thrive and feel fulfilled
- A portfolio of product design projects that showcases your design process, final designs, and impact
- A demonstrated ability to lead a project end-to-end and with a cross-functional team
- Strong communication and presentation skills (both written and oral)
- A history of proactively driving processes and solutions to ambiguous problems. Comfortable rolling up sleeves and working without formal requirement documents or top-down direction.
- Experience designing or managing in a two-sided marketplace
- Experience managing Senior Designers
- Experience designing or managing within a consumer-facing product space
- Virtual-first working model coupled with quarterly in-person events and Camp Thumbtack
- 20+ company-wide holidays including two week-long shutdowns
- Libraries (collaborative workspaces) in San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto, and Manila
- Stipends for remote work support, home office set-up and internet
- Subscriptions and Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
- Cell Phone Reimbursement, Thumbtack services (North America only)
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.