We’re the technology leader building the modern home management platform. Today, millions of people use Thumbtack to effortlessly manage their homes. We help them confidently know what to do, when to do it and who to hire.
Our goal is simple: to be the only platform homeowners need to fix, maintain and improve their homes. As a long-term partner for homeowners, our promise is to turn what was once confusing and intimidating into something straightforward — and a lot less stressful.
At Thumbtack, we're not just creating a new era of homeownership. We’re supporting local economies and building stronger communities. Each day, we connect local professionals across America with busy homeowners so they can grow their businesses.
Thumbtack is for everyone. Our customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Our North Star is bright and our ambitions are big. We’ve been at this for over a decade, but the way we see it: we’re just getting started.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available in all 3,143 U.S. counties.
- Nearly 4.5 million customers in the last 12 months
- Hundreds of thousands of local professionals on our platform
- 65 million projects started on Thumbtack
- Over 7 million 5-star reviews left for stellar pros
About the Role
To ensure a great user experience and long-term growth, trust and safety are the foundation of everything we do. As a part of the Marketplace Trust & Safety Team, you will have the opportunity to work on some of Thumbtack's most exciting and challenging issues. You will work as the front-line on matters integral to Thumbtack’s mission and longevity by ensuring our marketplace standards and policies are upheld. On this team, you will be part of a tight-knit group that works on ensuring that fraudulent activities on our platform are caught and prevented. And in the rare event that anything happens - you will play a critical role in making things right. By doing so, you help ensure that Thumbtack continues to be a safe space for all our pros and customers.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Works on tasks that are designed to catch spam, reduce fraud, increase adherence to the Terms of Service, and improve trust and safety on the Thumbtack platform, including but not limited to:
- Reviews pro profile and activities and takes appropriate actions to make sure we deliver quality pros to our customers
- Reviews customer profile and activities and takes appropriate actions to make sure we deliver quality leads/customers to our pros
- Makes sure users adhere to Thumbtack’s Terms of Service and takes appropriate actions against users who violate the Terms of Service
- Proactively identifies user accounts and user activities to catch and flag fraud, scam, and other Terms-of-Service (TOS) violations in the marketplace
- Investigates and researches complex fraud cases
- Identifies and raises suspicious and unusual fraud trends and activities on the platform
- Reviews the reports received from users and takes appropriate action
- Reports unusual and/or unexpected behavior of the machine models/rules
- Reinforces Thumbtack’s Terms of Service by taking proactive and reactive measures and coaching and/or providing feedback to users through different channels (chat, email, and/or phone)
- Handle incidents by working with the users directly and communicating with the users through different channels (e.g., Email and Phone)
- Handle disputes between two parties, and we should make every effort to help them work together and communicating with the users through different channels (e.g., Email and Phone)
- Provide the available resources and solutions to help users with their claims and communicating with the users through different channels (e.g., Email and Phone)
- Works with the manager to further improve our Trust & Safety policies by surfacing process and product deficiencies and providing recommendations
- Resolves issues through the proper escalation of cases
- Assists in the completion of special and ad-hoc projects
- Participates and assists in the completion of Marketplace Trust and Safety special projects
- Upholds the values of Thumbtack
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 2-3 years professional experience in the BPO, shared services, or similar industry
- Strong preference for those with the following experience working on operations or projects which involve supporting and resolving issues in online communities, eCommerce or online marketplaces, consumer app products, case management, incident handling, and/or user to user mediation
- Excellent analytical skills: use their professional judgment in interpreting findings
- Excellent aptitude for research, navigation, and investigation
- Excellent English communication (verbal, writing, and email writing) skills
- Willingness to work during the day, mid or graveyard shift, and rotating rest days
- Experience working in a Trust & Safety, Content Moderation, Fraud, and/or Risk Management role
- Experience working in different channels (email, chat, phone) or any similar industry
More About Us
Thumbtack is a technology leader building the modern home management platform. Through the Thumbtack app, homeowners can effortlessly manage their homes — confidently knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. Bringing the $500 billion home services industry online, Thumbtack empowers millions of homeowners to fix, maintain, and improve their most valuable asset.
Founded in 2008, Thumbtack is backed by over $500 million in funding from folks that include Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Discover our virtual first plan
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.