We’re the technology leader building the modern home management platform. Today, millions of people use Thumbtack to effortlessly manage their homes. We help them confidently know what to do, when to do it and who to hire.
Our goal is simple: to be the only platform homeowners need to fix, maintain and improve their homes. As a long-term partner for homeowners, our promise is to turn what was once confusing and intimidating into something straightforward — and a lot less stressful.
At Thumbtack, we're not just creating a new era of homeownership. We’re supporting local economies and building stronger communities. Each day, we connect local professionals across America with busy homeowners so they can grow their businesses.
Thumbtack is for everyone. Our customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Our North Star is bright and our ambitions are big. We’ve been at this for over a decade, but the way we see it: we’re just getting started.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available in all 3,143 U.S. counties.
- Nearly 4.5 million customers in the last 12 months
- Hundreds of thousands of local professionals on our platform
- 65 million projects started on Thumbtack
- Over 7 million 5-star reviews left for stellar pros
About the Marketplace Team
The Marketplace team builds the core data driven systems that power our matching and monetization engines. Our mission is to optimize how we match customers and pros, and monetize the transaction to create a growing marketplace where more and more jobs get done every day.
Our challenges are deeply technical and span a wide range of domains from infrastructure, to data, and to product. Examples of recent efforts include: building a low latency search serving stack, optimizing ML systems for ranking and pricing, or building a highly efficient, scalable payments platform. To read more about the problems that our team is taking on, visit our engineering blog.
About the Role
Marketing engineering is the brain of Thumbtack’s marketplace. In this role you will be leading the engineering team directly responsible for it. The team is highly interdisciplinary, encompassing engineers with a variety of skill sets including frontend engineering, backend engineering and machine learning infrastructure. In this role, you’ll not only partner with product, design and marketing leads to provide marketplace insight and dynamics to optimize our market, but also build data driven intelligence into our product.
- Build and grow an amazing engineering organization with a strong culture of balancing excellence with moving fast.
- Scale the organization by investing and growing a strong bench of senior technical leaders and managers within the team.
- Work with engineering leaders as well as cross functional leads (including product, marketing, analytics and design) to create and execute on product roadmaps.
- Leverage data to derive new insights, recommendations, and opportunities for our marketplace through new ML models development and experimentation to guide our growth strategy on both the customer and pros ecosystems.
- Work closely with other engineering leaders to evolve and continually improve Thumbtack’s engineering culture in a high paced growth environment.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Experience in a senior engineering management role.
- 8-10+ years experience building software at scale.
- Good knowledge of marketplace strategies and experience building and scaling engineering teams.
- Strong leadership, communication, and organizational skills.
- Passion for leading teams, setting vision, developing leaders and building highly functioning organizations.
- Collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams to achieve results.
- Stay up to date with innovation, able to guide technology evolution and not afraid to write code.
- Experience at a growth-stage consumer tech company.
- Experience with a marketplace business.
- Experience with data model and ML technology.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With
Thumbtack is a technology leader building the modern home management platform. Through the Thumbtack app, homeowners can effortlessly manage their homes — confidently knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. Bringing the $500 billion home services industry online, Thumbtack empowers millions of homeowners to fix, maintain, and improve their most valuable asset.
Founded in 2008, Thumbtack is backed by over $500 million in funding from folks that include Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Learn about engineers on a mission
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Discover our virtual first plan
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.