We’re the technology leader building the modern home management platform. Today, millions of people use Thumbtack to effortlessly manage their homes. We help them confidently know what to do, when to do it and who to hire.
Our goal is simple: to be the only platform homeowners need to fix, maintain and improve their homes. As a long-term partner for homeowners, our promise is to turn what was once confusing and intimidating into something straightforward — and a lot less stressful.
At Thumbtack, we're not just creating a new era of homeownership. We’re supporting local economies and building stronger communities. Each day, we connect local professionals across America with busy homeowners so they can grow their businesses.
Thumbtack is for everyone. Our customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Our North Star is bright and our ambitions are big. We’ve been at this for over a decade, but the way we see it: we’re just getting started.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available in all 3,143 U.S. counties.
- Nearly 4.5 million customers in the last 12 months
- Hundreds of thousands of local professionals on our platform
- 65 million projects started on Thumbtack
- Over 7 million 5-star reviews left for stellar pros
About the Pro Growth Team
The Pro Growth team is responsible for bringing more pros to Thumbtack. Pros find Thumbtack through a variety of channels including inbound and outbound sales, organic results in search engines (SEO), search ads (SEM), social ads (e.g. Facebook) or native app installs. Pros might also hear about Thumbtack through offline marketing (e.g. TV, Radio) and come directly to the homepage or native app. The team owns all these front door experiences as well as responsibility for optimizing and continually growing pro acquisition through these channels. The team also works closely with marketing partners on our overall brand and performance marketing strategy.
About the Role
Growth is the lifeblood of any startup, and in this role you will be leading the engineering team directly responsible for it. The team is highly interdisciplinary, encompassing engineers with a variety of skill sets including frontend engineering, native mobile, backend engineering and machine learning/optimization. In this role, you’ll not only partner with product, design and marketing leads to develop and execute on a growth strategy for Thumbtack, but also help build critical infrastructure and systems that power that growth and enable the team to move fast.
- Build and grow an amazing engineering team with a strong culture of balancing excellence with moving fast. The team is currently ~7 engineers and growing quickly.
- Hire and support senior technical leaders and managers within the team to be able to scale the organization in the coming months to achieve aggressive growth goals across organic search, search ads and other emerging channels.
- Work with engineering leads within the team as well as cross functional leads (including product, marketing, analytics and design) to craft a compelling vision and long term strategy for growth.
- Set the team up for excellence in execution and anticipate and plan ahead for infrastructure the team needs to build for long term success. This infrastructure could be backend systems, machine learning models, frontend infrastructure for fantastic pagespeed, or experimental infrastructure to enable rapid testing and prototyping of onboarding flows within our native apps.
- Work closely with other engineering leaders to evolve and continually improve Thumbtack’s engineering culture in a high paced growth environment.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Experience in a senior engineering management role.
- 5+ years experience building software at scale.
- Good knowledge of growth strategies and experience building and scaling growth teams.
- Strong leadership, communication, and organizational skills.
- Passion for leading teams, setting vision, and developing highly functioning organizations.
- Passionate about technology and not afraid to write code.
- Experience at a growth-stage consumer tech company.
- Experience with a marketplace business.
- Experience in the Growth Marketing domain.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a technology leader building the modern home management platform. Through the Thumbtack app, homeowners can effortlessly manage their homes — confidently knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. Bringing the $500 billion home services industry online, Thumbtack empowers millions of homeowners to fix, maintain, and improve their most valuable asset.
Founded in 2008, Thumbtack is backed by over $500 million in funding from folks that include Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Learn about engineers on a mission
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Discover our virtual first plan
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.