We’re the technology leader building the modern home management platform. Today, millions of people use Thumbtack to effortlessly manage their homes. We help them confidently know what to do, when to do it and who to hire.
Our goal is simple: to be the only platform homeowners need to fix, maintain and improve their homes. As a long-term partner for homeowners, our promise is to turn what was once confusing and intimidating into something straightforward — and a lot less stressful.
At Thumbtack, we're not just creating a new era of homeownership. We’re supporting local economies and building stronger communities. Each day, we connect local professionals across America with busy homeowners so they can grow their businesses.
Thumbtack is for everyone. Our customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Our North Star is bright and our ambitions are big. We’ve been at this for over a decade, but the way we see it: we’re just getting started.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available in all 3,143 U.S. counties.
- Nearly 4.5 million customers in the last 12 months
- Hundreds of thousands of local professionals on our platform
- 65 million projects started on Thumbtack
- Over 7 million 5-star reviews left for stellar pros
About the People Team
Our People Team is at the forefront of building a world-class virtual first company and being a leader on Future of Work. Our People team believes in the power of our people. We craft an employee experience that starts with hiring incredible people, investing in their career development and providing a holistic approach to benefits and wellness.
About the Role
As the Head of Total Rewards, you will be a key leader on Thumbtack’s People Leadership Team and close partner to our Executive Team and Board. You will be responsible for developing a Compensation and Benefits vision and strategy that reinforces our strategic, financial and cultural goals. You will be critical to driving company growth, public company readiness efforts and Future of Work. You will lead and grow a team to drive the execution of all Total Rewards programs and report directly to the Head of People.
- Define a vision and strategy for Compensation and Benefits that reinforces our business strategy, financial objectives and virtual-first employee experience
- Oversee the design and delivery of global Compensation and Benefits programs across the United States, Canada and the Philippines
- Lead a team of two and grow it to enable further scale and support company growth
- Oversee all deliverables for quarterly Compensation Committee meetings and partner with executive team and BOD on IPO readiness efforts
- Partner with People Team leaders across Recruiting, HR Business Partners, Organizational Development, HR/Talent Ops, Employee Experience and DEI and Business Leaders to ensure programs are effectively designed, implemented and communicated
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Undergraduate degree. Masters in HR, Analytical fields or Business Administration preferred
- 10-15+ years experience in compensation and benefits leadership roles
- 5-10+ years managing and building teams
- Stakeholder management and partnership
- Operational and analytical rigor with a bias towards action
- Strong grasp of systems, tools and critical processes for smart scaling
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation communication skills
- Experience working with Global teams
- Additional experience in other HR / Recruiting roles
- Public company and IPO experience
More About Us
Thumbtack is a technology leader building the modern home management platform. Through the Thumbtack app, homeowners can effortlessly manage their homes — confidently knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. Bringing the $500 billion home services industry online, Thumbtack empowers millions of homeowners to fix, maintain, and improve their most valuable asset.
Founded in 2008, Thumbtack is backed by over $500 million in funding from folks that include Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Discover our virtual first plan
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.