We’re the technology leader building the modern home management platform. Today, millions of people use Thumbtack to effortlessly manage their homes. We help them confidently know what to do, when to do it and who to hire.
Our goal is simple: to be the only platform homeowners need to fix, maintain and improve their homes. As a long-term partner for homeowners, our promise is to turn what was once confusing and intimidating into something straightforward — and a lot less stressful.
At Thumbtack, we're not just creating a new era of homeownership. We’re supporting local economies and building stronger communities. Each day, we connect local professionals across America with busy homeowners so they can grow their businesses.
Thumbtack is for everyone. Our customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Our North Star is bright and our ambitions are big. We’ve been at this for over a decade, but the way we see it: we’re just getting started.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available in all 3,143 U.S. counties.
- Nearly 4.5 million customers in the last 12 months
- Hundreds of thousands of local professionals on our platform
- 65 million projects started on Thumbtack
- Over 7 million 5-star reviews left for stellar pros
About the Engineering Team
At Thumbtack, engineers at every level build products and systems that directly impact our customers and professionals. Our challenges span a wide variety of areas, ranging from building search and booking experiences to optimizing pricing systems, to building tools to help professionals grow their businesses. We believe in tackling these hard problems together as a team, with strong values around collaboration, ownership, and transparency. To read more about the hard problems that our team is taking on, visit our engineering blog.
About the Role
Thumbtack is looking for an experienced Sr. Security Software Engineer for our engineering organization. As our first Software Engineer focused on security, you will lead the charge to improve the security of our application and infrastructure. You will work with other engineering teams to build solutions to protect our customers and professionals on our Thumbtack platform. You will be a consultant working with other engineers and cross-functional partners to build more robust and secure software.
- Design, implement and maintain security-oriented software that makes it easier for non-security engineers to build secure products.
- Facilitate the delivery and success of secure mobile and web applications
- Collaborate with many teams and functions across Thumbtack to make technical, design, strategy, and product decisions relating to security.
- Act as an internal security subject matter expert, advocating for better security practices throughout the company.
- Grow your career in an engaged and innovative engineering community that ships transformative products and services.
- Help evaluate the adoption of open source software and 3rd party integration from a security standpoint.
- Engage and help with security assessment and compliance evaluation.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or equivalent technical experience
- 5+ years experience leading complex, technical, cross-functional projects (Data Platform or Infrastructure a plus)
- Experience and understanding of application and infrastructure security standards and best practices, such as OWASP, OAuth 2.0.
- Experience in security hardening in a public cloud environment (AWS, GCP)
- Experience and proven ability in delivering secure products and services in a cloud environment
- Outstanding communication, collaboration, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to think strategically at the program level, dive in and be hands-on in day-to-day action
- Experience in design and authoring security tools and libraries
- Experience with conducting a penetration test, deploying static and dynamic code analyzers, orchestrating threat modeling,
- Familiarity with security frameworks such as NIST CSF, NIST SP 800-x, COBIT, ISO-27001, PCI DSS
- Working experience with NIST Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS)
More About Us
Thumbtack is a technology leader building the modern home management platform. Through the Thumbtack app, homeowners can effortlessly manage their homes — confidently knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. Bringing the $500 billion home services industry online, Thumbtack empowers millions of homeowners to fix, maintain, and improve their most valuable asset.
Founded in 2008, Thumbtack is backed by over $500 million in funding from folks that include Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Learn about engineers on a mission
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Discover our virtual first plan
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries. We always prioritize the health and safety of our employees. Currently, participation in these events and Thumbtack library use are optional. Both require employees to be fully vaccinated.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.