We’re the technology leader building the modern home management platform. Today, millions of people use Thumbtack to effortlessly manage their homes. We help them confidently know what to do, when to do it and who to hire.
Our goal is simple: to be the only platform homeowners need to fix, maintain and improve their homes. As a long-term partner for homeowners, our promise is to turn what was once confusing and intimidating into something straightforward — and a lot less stressful.
At Thumbtack, we're not just creating a new era of homeownership. We’re supporting local economies and building stronger communities. Each day, we connect local professionals across America with busy homeowners so they can grow their businesses.
Thumbtack is for everyone. Our customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Our North Star is bright and our ambitions are big. We’ve been at this for over a decade, but the way we see it: we’re just getting started.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available in all 3,143 U.S. counties.
- Nearly 4.5 million customers in the last 12 months
- Hundreds of thousands of local professionals on our platform
- 65 million projects started on Thumbtack
- Over 7 million 5-star reviews left for stellar pros
About the Infrastructure Engineering Team
The Infrastructure Engineering team builds and operates the compute infrastructure necessary to connect customers and pros at scale. Our engineering teams are constantly developing new software and product features to deliver a seamless experience for hiring pros and getting service leads, and our team ensures they need to worry as little as possible about the complexities of modern cloud infrastructure.
We focus on containerization, observability, scalability, and security, so that it’s easy for the average engineer to do the right thing. To read more about the problems that our team is taking on, visit our engineering blog.
About the Role
We are seeking a passionate and highly motivated individual to join Thumbtack’s Infrastructure Engineering team. The role is a deeply technical one, and a successful candidate will have a strong understanding of architecting modern cloud infrastructure systems, as well as directly leading teams of engineers to build them. We study current trends in operational philosophies and methodologies, and think critically about how to apply them to our work, so that our systems are available, durable, observable, and self-healing.
- Build and grow an amazing team of both application and infrastructure software engineers with a strong culture of balancing excellence with moving fast.
- Lead and manage the team as a hands-on technical leader. Help the team make key technical decisions, unblock the team, and guide the team on execution. We expect managers in this role to deeply understand technical infrastructure and review code and configuration changes.
- Work closely with engineers to architect critical production systems and design a roadmap for our infrastructure in collaboration with other engineering leaders.
- Collaborate closely with product engineering leads to ensure our technology platform meets our company goals and allows product development to move fast.
- Develop strategies for hardening our network and application infrastructure alongside the Security team.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 2+ years experience in an engineering management role and 5+ years experience building and operating software at scale.
- Strong management, communication and collaboration skills.
- Strong technical skills and is willing to be hands on. Able to guide the team in systems design and architecture, help debug issues, and develop an infrastructure roadmap.
- Deep technical knowledge in at least one area typically associated with infra/ops roles (network design, security, data stores, et al.)
- Broad familiarity with tooling across infrastructure-as-code (Terraform, CloudFormation), container management (ECS, Kubernetes), data stores (Postgres, MySQL, DynamoDB), observability (logging, metrics, graphing, alerting, tracing).
- Experience architecting cloud-native applications in a cloud environment, AWS preferred.
- Expertise in designing, analyzing, and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- Deep technical knowledge in any of: Elasticsearch, Postgres, Kafka, InfluxDB, Jenkins
- Strong understanding of metrics and observability, and ability to connect data with end user impact.
- Working experience with DevSecOps practices, SIEM, SOAR, and Security Operations Center (SOC)
More About Us
Thumbtack is a technology leader building the modern home management platform. Through the Thumbtack app, homeowners can effortlessly manage their homes — confidently knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. Bringing the $500 billion home services industry online, Thumbtack empowers millions of homeowners to fix, maintain, and improve their most valuable asset.
Founded in 2008, Thumbtack is backed by over $500 million in funding from folks that include Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Engineers on a mission
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.