Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Technical Accounting and Financial Reporting Team
The Technical Accounting and Financial Reporting Team is responsible for all things related to financial reporting for the Company and is involved in all aspects of the business, ensuring that we properly account for significant and complex transactions, track and implement new accounting pronouncements, develop and document accounting policies, prepare all U.S. GAAP financials and disclosures, and implement new systems and processes to enhance the Company’s financial reporting function.
About the Role
As a Senior Accountant, you’ll have the exciting opportunity to come into a newly formed team and make a huge impact by assisting in the implementation of policies and procedures, analysis of complex deals, drafting financial statements and disclosures, assisting in systems implementation and process improvement, and helping put in place controls to aid the Company in maturing. You will work closely with the Accounting Team, which keeps the books and records for the Company and ensures that we properly capture, account for, and record all the activities that occur as they occur.
- Assist in building out the technical accounting and financial reporting function at Thumbtack, including researching the accounting treatment of significant accounting transactions, owning financial reporting schedules and workpapers, and assisting in system and process improvement projects.
- Assist in the preparation of financial statements and disclosures for the Company's annual and interim financials as well as prepare monthly internal financial schedules, journal entries, reconciliation schedules, variance reporting, etc. for stock based compensation and other technical accounting matters.
- Support quarterly/yearly audits including the preparation of supporting reports, memos and documentation, directly interact and manage relationships with external and internal auditors
- Assist in the evaluation of the accounting treatment for all significant accounting transactions, research and implement relevant accounting standards, and draft technical accounting memorandums on significant transactions to support accounting positions.
- Assist in systems implementation and process improvement projects as well as other duties and ad hoc projects.
- Work cross-functionally within the organization to support various stakeholders on technical accounting and financial reporting matters, including but not limited to other Controllership functions, Financial Planning and Analysis, and many others.
- Perform internal controls in compliance with SOX related to reporting and other complex technical accounting areas.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 5+ years of experience in accounting, including public accounting firm experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting or Related field
- CPA license
- Excellent communication (written and verbal), organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated- able to think independently, creatively, and opportunistically, have a builder's mindset and are passionate about learning and always wanting to improve processes.
- Proven ability to collaborate cross-functionally
- Big 4 public accounting firm experience
- Experience with NetSuite is a plus
- Experience with ASC 842, ASC 350, ASC 718, ASC 606 and ASC 230 is a plus
- Experience within a public company environment in technical accounting and financial reporting
- Experience working for a tech company and building out processes across the Company
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.