Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the People Operations Team
Our People team believes in the power of our people. We know that with the right culture, development, and support, our people can achieve anything; and we are inspired by this every day. The People Operations Team is a small but mighty team that drives forward and ensures seamless processes behind how we think and manage the employee lifecycle here at Thumbtack. From the time an offer letter is signed to an employee’s last day, our aim is to deliver an exceptional experience.
About the Role
We're looking for a People Operations Generalist to help deliver a world-class experience for our employees while supporting backend operations and processes. We are looking for someone who can independently and proactively lead company-wide programmatic work as we build for scale and enter into a remote-first environment. This role requires a keen eye for processes, meticulous attention to detail, and the ability to empathetically connect and support our employees.
- From a signed offer letter to their last day: this person is responsible for delivering an amazing and thoughtful employee experience
- Act as a strategic thought partner to uplevel existing processes and build for scale; partnerships include: HRBPs, Learning & Development, Recruiting, DE&I, Compensation, Internal Tools and Benefits
- Support our People ticketing system and act as the first line of support for all People related questions (e.g., benefits, verifications of employment, etc.)
- Support various HR needs including (but not limited to): immigration program needs, including I-9 management and required filings and postings, background checks, compliance and audit
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- A minimum of 5 years of general People Operations or HR generalist experience
- A stickler for process and accuracy (data integrity!!) in the work that you put forward
- Strong teamwork skills and the ability to collaborate cross-functionally towards a shared goal
- High sense of urgency and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks at once
- In-depth knowledge of HR best practices with a willingness to roll up your sleeves to solve business problems with a positive attitude
- Workday experience; other HRIS systems is a plus
- Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) or Professional in Human Resources (PHR) certification
- Experience managing compliance programs including SOX compliance, mandatory filings, policy updates and employee trainings
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.