Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Internal Tools Team
The Internal Tools team is made up of 3 groups -- IT Infrastructure & Operations, Business Applications, and Technical Program Management & Procurement. Together, we deliver trusted, scalable, secure services and infrastructure to empower Thumbtack employees with the tools they need to get work done. We partner with the business and own our platform of internal tools throughout their lifecycle -- intake, prioritization, buy/build, implementation, support, and retirement.
About the Role
We’re looking for an experienced IT Systems Engineer to design, build and support our internal systems and network, and help us scale Okta identity access management at Thumbtack. As a member of IT Systems Engineering, you’ll collaborate with engineers, program managers, leaders and partners to execute projects, manage critical data, and implement and maintain our infrastructure, systems and integrations. You will leverage your in-depth knowledge of systems architecture, cloud-hosted services, authentication/access systems and security to solve challenges big and small. You are an excellent communicator with a passion for technology, mentoring others and delivering world-class services.
- Design, build, manage and optimize highly-available, scalable systems & network infrastructure
- Act as primary administrator for Okta and partner with IT and other teams to implement and maintain integrations with other platforms / tools (ADP, Workday, Salesforce, etc.)
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to drive systems and IAM architecture, strategy and direction, and to improve the quality, reliability, and supportability of existing infrastructure.
- Manage data, security, and legal governance processes and maintain compliance with security standards (least-privilege access, patching, two-factor authentication, VPN)
- Proactively monitor systems health, identify, troubleshoot and resolve advanced issues, and lead 24x7 support (on-call rotation) for critical components & changes (change/incident management)
- Lead technology projects to completion with a focus on delivering business value, leading through change, and fostering continuous process improvement
- Build and manage relationships, roadmaps and costs for vendors and 3rd-party partners
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or 5+ years IT systems experience in a distributed, enterprise environment
- Proven success designing, automating, deploying, securing and monitoring Okta, and experience implementing one or more large SaaS / Cloud integrations (Workday, Salesforce, ADP, etc.)
- In-depth knowledge of AWS and familiarity with other cloud platforms and concepts (GCP, Azure)
- Excellent strategic thinking, analytical and problem-solving skills; ability to make thoughtful proposals, provide root cause analysis and demonstrate results through testing and metrics
- A great teammate and partner who has outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, works well cross-functionally, and thrives in a fast-paced, virtual first environment
- Understanding of security and compliance methodologies and practices, including experience with security incident response processes and tools (Splunk, Syslog), SOX and PCI
- In-depth experience with any of the following systems (the more the better): Palo Alto Networks, Splunk, Azure AD, Aruba, Infoblox, HP switching/routing, Google Workspace for Enterprise
- In-depth knowledge of common services & protocols: DNS, IPSec VPN, DHCP, PKI, Trusts, RBAC, RADIUS, OSPF, SNMP, BGP
- Knowledge of Agile and ITIL methodologies, formal project management experience
- Okta Administrator and/or AWS Professional certifications
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Engineers on a mission
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.