Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Technical Program Management Team
Technical Program Management partners with all areas of the business and development teams to drive our portfolio of technical projects and programs from request through implementation and ongoing lifecycle management. It’s our mission to help all of Thumbtack get more done through technology solutions and cross-functional coordination.
About the Role
As the Senior Technical Program Manager for Marketing Tech, you are a critical partner to Growth Marketing and the functional representatives within the Marketing Tech cross-functional group (Engineering, Analytics, and Data Science), and Finance. You will work closely with these teams, their leaders, and technical staff to design, implement, and refine business tools and processes, and to provide close support to ensure business continuity, give critical insight, and improve effectiveness.
- Partner with Growth Marketing, Marketing Tech leads, and Finance to drive quarterly and annual planning and identify, define, prioritize, and track objectives, key results, initiatives, and strategic tech opportunities
- Collaborate with the Growth Marketing team and Marketing Tech technical staff to define comprehensive business and technical requirements, come up with viable, scalable, future-proof solutions, and translate them into actionable project plans and tasks
- Utilize agile project management framework and techniques to plan, document, evaluate and prioritize, and manage initiatives from conception through delivery and closure
- Work closely with Marketing Tech engineers, analysts, and data scientists to deliver prioritized solutions
- Keep cross-functional stakeholders, contributors, executives, and other interested parties engaged, aligned on strategy and involvement, and up-to-date on project status and relevant details
- Ensure proper project closure by troubleshooting and resolving outstanding issues after launch, confirming solutions are in an acceptable state, and evaluating outcomes against objectives
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Bachelor’s degree or 5+ years of relevant experience in the field
- Well versed in Marketing business processes and how to enable them through technology
- Expert in agile project management, prioritization methodologies, and the software project lifecycle (design, build, test, release, feedback)
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills; able to make thoughtful proposals, provide root cause analysis and demonstrate results
- Ability to proficiently work with and manage technical projects related to the following:
- First-party (marketing automation) and third-party marketing technology (ESPs, campaign management tools, CRO and CMS platforms), including tech stack optimization
- SaaS/cloud-based technologies and integrations
- Marketing forecasting, budgeting and vendor management
- Predictive modeling, data accuracy and timeliness
- Outstanding communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills
- Ability to both think strategically at the program level and be hands on in day-to-day action
- Previous experience working in Marketing
- Experience working with Iterable, Google Ads, Facebook Ads, Search Ads 360, and Optimizely
- Basic understanding of programming, data management, APIs
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Engineers on a mission
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.