Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Growth Marketing Team
The Growth Marketing team is made up of acquisition and engagement marketers, CRO specialists, and marketing technologists to deliver over a billion dollars in business to our pros while helping millions of customers get their projects done each year. The team has close partnerships with product & brand marketing, analytics, engineering, creative and data scientists, all with the shared goal of building the largest and most sophisticated Growth Marketing program in the industry.
About the Role
The Director of Engagement Marketing is responsible for driving retention and engagement of customers and pros through email, push, SMS and in-app marketing channels. They are also responsible for providing support through the Marketing org via the Marketing Ops team and executing content strategy via the Content Marketing team. Reporting to the Head of Growth Marketing, this person will be a senior leader on the cross-functional Growth team and help shape the growth strategy for demand and supply.
- Map out and drive implementation of cross-channel lifecycle marketing strategies that increase customer and pro lifetime value across multiple channels including email, push, SMS, in-app and Intercom
- Establish a rigorous analytical framework and manage the reporting and performance of all lifecycle initiatives
- Partner with engineers and marketing technology team to build technical solutions for the engagement team
- Prepare and communicate team updates and performance to cross-functional teams and key business stakeholders
- Maintain customer database health and performance by creating automation, optimization, and segmentation strategies
- Be a strategic thinker, problem solver and communicator who is focused on building meaningful and impactful long-term relationships with customers and pros
- Lead, mentor, and manage a team of 7+ across lifecycle marketing, content marketing and marketing ops
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 8+ years’ experience in lifecycle, CRM, retention, or engagement marketing.
- 4+ years managing teams with a track record of advancing the careers of direct reports
- Track record of delivering demonstrable value to the business by developing and executing on an engagement marketing strategy from the ground up
- Expert knowledge of engagement marketing measurement approaches (attribution, incrementality), A/B testing strategies and test planning
- A deep understanding of the engagement marketing technology landscape and ability to translate business needs into technical requirements
- A great communicator who can tell the full story at all levels within the organization, bringing all stakeholders along with them
- Insatiable curiosity, dedication to life-long learning and a passion for staying ahead of the curve on new strategies and tactics. You possess a growth mindset, are intrinsically motivated by impact and possess a deep sense of ownership
- MBA or advanced degree
- Experience in a marketplace company and/or high-growth startup
- Basic SQL knowledge
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.