Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Engineering Team
Growth Engineering team’s charter is to get new customers to Thumbtack and make sure they are successful in their journey of hiring a pro. We partner with product, design, analytics, and marketing to make sure we are as effective as possible at this. We believe in tackling these hard problems together as a team, with strong values around collaboration, ownership, and transparency. To read more about the hard problems Thumbtack engineering tackles on a daily basis, visit our engineering blog.
About the Role
As a Senior Full Stack Software Engineer on the Growth team, you’ll focus on executing Thumbtack's growth strategy. You’ll collaborate with other engineers, designers, product managers, analysts, data scientists and data engineers to execute on a broad range of projects. This includes helping to define and work on our product roadmap, building out a variety of A/B tests, and working throughout acquisition and activation of users.
- Become the subject matter expert in growth technologies.
- Drive engineering projects to completion, with a tenacious focus on the business impact of those projects. Skilled at prioritizing tasks to deliver on goals with a sense of urgency.
- Solve tough technical problems at any level of the stack, and be persistent in getting to the solution, whether it involves back-end, infrastructure, or front-end work.
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams to plan and execute on engineering projects.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Minimum of 5+ years of industry experience in engineering
- Understanding of growth technology to enable experimentations and activation strategies
- Experience working in SEO
- Fluency in at least one major programming language and would be able to switch between multiple languages. In our stack, we mainly use Go, PHP, React, and Scala
- You know what it means to write high quality, maintainable, testable code, and you enjoy doing it
- You can break down complex problems rigorously and understand the tradeoffs necessary to deliver great, impactful products
- You’re curious, you’re data-driven, you love to ask questions, and you think critically about problems
- Experience or knowledge in growth and marketing
- Experience with data pipelines (Airflow, BigQuery)
- Experience leading or mentoring engineering teams
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced startup environment
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.