Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the People Team
Our People team believes in the power of our people. We know that with the right culture, development and support, our people can achieve anything. We do this by crafting an employee experience that starts from hiring incredible people, investing in their development, and providing a holistic approach to benefits and wellbeing.
About the Role
The Director of Organizational Development will be a key leader on Thumbtack’s People Leadership Team, developing and driving the execution of an Organizational Development vision and strategy. You will partner closely with HR and business leaders to understand and improve the health, caliber and performance of our employee base through world class, scalable programs. This role reports to the Head of People and is virtual-first, in line with our Future of Work vision.
- Define a vision and strategy for Organizational Development at Thumbtack to support the growth of our business, organization and employees
- Own the execution and improvement of existing programs, including performance management, onboarding, engagement surveys
- Own the prioritization, design, implementation and execution of future programs including, but not limited to, learning and development, manager and leadership development, talent reviews and succession planning
- Monitor, understand and respond to employee sentiment and feedback, organizational trends, and business needs to ensure OD programs address critical needs and reinforce business priorities
- Partner with business leaders, HR Business Partners, DEI, People Analytics, Recruiting, HR Ops, Compensation and Benefits to ensure programs are effectively designed and implemented and reinforce broader People Team goals
- Develop a long term vision for the team, external partnerships, systems and tools
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 10+ years of leadership experience in talent management, organizational development, performance management and/or learning and development
- 5+ years as a people manager and team builder
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation communication skills
- Operational rigor and program management skills
- Strong analytical skills and systems thinking
- High levels of ownership, initiative taking, scrappiness and desire to build something great
- Facilitation and training experience
- Experience working with remote / distributed teams
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.