Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Customer Experience Team
Today, millions of customers use Thumbtack to find and hire small businesses across the US. Named one of the World’s Most Innovative Companies in 2018 by Fast Company, Thumbtack is a highly dynamic product that’s also building local economies and stronger communities. One of the key factors for our ongoing success is #CustomerObsession.
We focus on providing a great experience to our users and prioritizing the most important work first. The Customer Support team is composed of customer-obsessed team members who are engaged, innovative, and who partner with our pros and customers from start to finish to resolve their concerns.
About the Role
The Customer Support Team Manager will be heading a team of Customer Support Specialists responsible for making sure that all professionals get best-in-class support whenever they contact our non-voice Customer Support channels (SMS, Chat, and Email) for any concern. The main responsibilities of a Customer Support Team Manager are making sure that the team runs smoothly, KPIs and individual targets are met, team members are engaged and live up to our Thumbtack values, company policies are implemented and continuous improvement of operations and processes are ensured. By effectively managing and leading the team, you help ensure that Thumbtack customers and pros are set up for success.
- People Management
- Performance & Development
- Hold regular coaching sessions, huddles, calibrations and team meetings
- Manage, coach and mentor your team to handle contacts correctly and efficiently. Handle escalated cases as necessary.
- Create and facilitate customized development plan for every team member to enable them achieve their full potential
- Complete specialist scorecards and provide regular feedback to them
- Address any performance issues
- Culture & Ways of Work
- Communicate and cascade timely and concisely all the updates, company policies, events, programs, and all other information that are relevant to the team members
- Make the team always updated of the company policies and implement them fairly, objectively and consistently
- Provide feedback and hold employee conversations when necessary
- Manage conflict and maintain strong teamwork, respect and trust among members
- Be an ambassador and live up Thumbtack values
- Foster high morale, engagement, and camaraderie within the team
- Nurture a psychologically safe environment and culture of proactively surfacing findings, giving suggestions, and speaking up ideas
- Create, coordinate and deliver performance reviews and compensation conversations for every team member
- Ensure compliance to and completion of coaching documents for team members.
- Ensure timekeeping details of your team are accurate and updated
- Performance & Development
- Operations Management
- Manage the day-to-day operations:
- Set team members’ expectations, monitor, and support them to meet their KPIs and other operational metrics; coach team members when needed
- Provide constant support to the specialists including handling of escalations or edge cases
- Report and manage any technical issues encountered by the team affecting their work
- Manage the staffing when necessary
- Work with the relevant cross-functional teams when needed to ensure smooth operations
- Monitor and report unusual trends and anything that could affect the operations
- Continuous improvement
- Find ways and means to improve KPIs, guidelines and processes
- Write, manage, improve and update task guidelines and SOPs
- Look at trends and surface insights that could minimize/eliminate risks on or improve the operations
- Work on weekly reports and other related reports.
- Function as a Business Continuity Plan (BCP) Committee member to ensure readiness and proper execution of BCP
- Other responsibilities:
- Participate and contribute to the quarterly team planning sessions
- Participate and contribute to the team policies and to the new initiatives created/built by the management group of TPH
- Participate in interviewing candidates during CS Specialist hiring
- Participate in improving and facilitating operational processes and infrastructure (e.g. onboarding process improvement and facilitation, dashboard and report improvements, etc.)
- Accept and effectively manage new projects for the CS team or for TPH
- Manage the day-to-day operations:
- Stakeholder Management
- Build and maintain stakeholder relationships both onshore and offshore on a daily basis
- Work with the partners from San Francisco and Salt Lake offices to improve policies and processes
- Present weekly metrics in global meetings and provide operational and business insights
- Work cross-collaboratively with enablement teams from the Philippines (Training, QA, Workforce Management, Analytics, HR)
Team Structure and Inter-Team Working Relationships
- Manage a team of 10-15 specialists
- Collaborate with business partners in San Francisco and Salt Lake to ensure alignment in processes and guidelines.
- Attend weekly meetings with global teams to read out your team’s performance (via ops dashboard) and report any operational and business insights.
- Reports to the Sr Manager for Philippines CS Operations who would be accountable in ensuring that the expectations and all necessary metrics are met.
- The Customer Service & Support group in the Philippines is a part of the larger Customer Service & Support global group, with business counterparts in both Salt Lake and San Francisco.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- At least 4 years of professional experience in the BPO, shared services, or similar industry, 3 years of which have been spent on a leadership capacity/level
- Strong preference for those with the following experience:
- Working and managing both voice account and non-voice account that handles SMS, Chat and Email contacts
- Previous experience in handling a team with customer service focus metrics - CSAT, Resolution Rate, AHT
- Working on operations or projects which involve supporting and resolving issues in online marketplaces, communities, e-commerce, and or consumer/app products
- Ability to communicate effectively in English
- Willingness to work during day, mid or graveyard shift and rotating rest days
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced tech startup environment
- Experience using Salesforce and Teleopti is preferred but not required
- Experience in project management
- Background and/or training in process improvement methodologies such as Lean or Six Sigma
- Background and/or training in COPC
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.