Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Product Team
Our product team is small but mighty. We partner with engineering, design, analytics and more to craft a marketplace that delivers over a billion dollars in business to our pros while helping millions of customers get their projects done each year.
About the Role
Do you want to drive a massive shift in how the local economy works? If so, we're looking for a Product Manager to lead our data platform and internal tools. You’ll own the tools and products needed to scale the ability of internal users (analytics, finance, customer support, operations. etc.) to best serve our pros, customers, and overall business. This includes a world-class data and experimentation platform, as well as a set of incredible internal tools for our frontline staff. Your efforts will have a direct impact on how quickly we can scale Thumbtack.
- Articulate a vision and strategy for data at Thumbtack, including how we can scale our world-class data environment and make our data accessible, reliable, and digestible for all users across the company
- Develop and execute on a product roadmap focused on data and internal tools, spanning everything from our build vs. buy strategy around new data capabilities to introducing new experimentation platform features
- Collaborate closely with analysts and engineers to ensure our analytics infrastructure helps meet company goals and allows product development to move quickly
- Work cross-functionally to prioritize the most pressing data and internal tooling needs
- Define and analyze key metrics to inform decision-making and measure success
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 4+ years of experience working on data products as a product manager, or as an analyst or data engineer with some product management experience
- Proven ability to collaborate with engineering teams to build products in a fast-paced environment
- Proven ability to collaborate cross-functionally and develop empathy for the users you build for
- Excellent analytical skills with a strong understanding of SQL and best practices regarding analytics and experimentation
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Familiarity with data technologies and the data vendor ecosystem
- Experience with experimentation at scale (A/B testing, multi-arm bandits, etc.)
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.