Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the People Business Partner Team
Our People Business Partners are business leaders first, HR leaders second. As coaches and advocates, we combine generalist HR expertise with deep understanding of our partners, to quickly solve problems and enable the success of our teams.
About the Role
Thumbtack is seeking a Staff People Business Partner to support several GTM teams; Sales, Success and Marketing. The ideal candidate will be both strategic and scrappy, with the ability to embody and scale our culture as we continue to grow.
- Act as an advocate and strategic partner to all employees and managers and leaders across Thumbtack’s business functions (e.g. Sales, Success, Marketing, etc.). Push leaders to think long term about the health of their team and needs of their org.
- Understand business strategy and provide consultative support to drive key people priorities (assess, present findings/solutions, test, iterate and measure).
- Coach and build manager and executive leadership capability to navigate critical programs including onboarding, performance management, engagement, compensation and organizational development.
- Communicate and drive People programs across client groups.
- Build high-performing teams through engagement survey action planning, new leader assimilation, and team effectiveness exercises.
- Drive diversity, inclusion and culture within client groups by partnering with Thumbtack’s DEI team, while engaging leaders in high-impact action plans and tracking progress.
- Look for opportunities to develop consistent and equitable solutions that can be scaled across the organization.
- Deeply understand the specific business and talent needs (i.e. headcount, timeline, level, competencies) of the organization to propose and drive new People initiatives that align with those business needs.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 10+ years in People related roles with 8+ years experience as a People Business Partner directly or indirectly
- Demonstrable experience in coaching leaders through performance management and employee relations issues
- Experience establishing relationships as a trusted advisor to executive team members
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to communicate clearly and concisely
- Strong project management, change management, problem-solving and analytical skills
- A doer mentality with the ability to translate vision into action
- Previous experience working in fast-paced environments and helping organizations scale
- Experience working in tech companies or a marketplace
- Experience supporting Sales, Success and/or Marketing teams
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.