Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the People Team
Our People team believes in the power of our people.
We know that with the right culture, development and support, our people can achieve anything; and we are inspired by this every day.
We do this by crafting an employee experience that starts from hiring incredible people, investing in their development, and providing a holistic approach to benefits and wellbeing.
About the Role
The Diversity Recruitment & Retention Manager will play a key role in designing, implementing and scaling our efforts to build a more diverse and inclusive Thumbtack. This person will lead our Diversity Recruiting & Retention strategy, including partnering with our recruiting team, business leaders and external partners to develop and launch programs, processes, partnerships and training.
- Design, launch and scale a robust and creative diversity recruiting strategy focussed on expanding the pipeline and better engaging, supporting and hiring the best talent from underrepresented backgrounds for both college recruiting & experienced hires
- Work with our University recruiting team to create and execute our HBCU & HSI strategy, as well as serve as the point of contact for these university partnerships and students.
- Provide guidance and partnerships to help increase the pool of Black, Latino, LGBTQIA+, differently abled and veterans.
- Design, launch and scale programs that help diversify our external and internal talent pools, including but not limited to apprenticeship programs, return-to-work programs, HBCU/HSI internship program, underrepresented minority mentorship & sponsorship programs
- Develop goals for our diversity recruiting & retention efforts, track against these goals and report out on progress to the organization to communicate impact and identify areas of opportunity
- Partner closely with key stakeholders to align diversity recruiting & retention programming with overall company DEI and business goals, ensuring collaboration across recruiting, retention and advancement efforts
- Work cross functionally with recruiting, DEI & comms on Employer Branding efforts
- 5+ years of experience in diversity focused recruitment (university & experienced)
- 3+ years of demonstrated success creating recruiting strategies focused on URMs
- Experience working with HBCUs, HSIs and diversity focused partners (organizations, associations, conferences, etc)
- Experience creating, implementing and managing diversity focused employee programming
- Training, facilitation experience
- Experience in a high growth environment with rapid change
- Remote work experience working across geographical time zones
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.