Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Business Development Team
Our team charter is to create a symbiotic partner ecosystem that drives net new, high intent Homeowners to Thumbtack with jobs to be done for the Fix, Maintain or Improve pillars. We will also encourage the best in class Pros in the Home service space to build out their profiles on our platform. We will do this by expanding where and how Thumbtack can create value by putting our experience on complementary sites/platforms, integrating into existing workflows, and leveraging third-party offerings to enhance Thumbtack engagement.
About the Role
We’re looking for a Business Development Manager to help execute our vision for Thumbtack’s partnership strategy. This is an exciting opportunity to shape Thumbtack’s partnerships efforts by doing first of a kind deals and creating a model for future partnerships. This person will partner with other product and go-to-market teams to develop strategy and prioritization. They will build and own our pipeline of potential partnership opportunities, building deep relationships, identifying and scoping high-impact partnership ideas, and helping negotiate contracts.
- In conjunction with Product and cross-functional partners, develop and execute on partnerships strategy for emerging investment areas for Thumbtack’s business
- Build and grow a pipeline of high-potential partners across different facets of the business, owning relationships from initial discovery to negotiations to launch
- Work closely with Product Development to scope high-impact partnership opportunities
- Collaborate with cross-functional teammates in Marketing, Operations, Product, Legal, Finance, etc to ensure effective deployment of partnerships
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- At least 3-6 years of experience in business development and partnerships
- Proven ability to manage a broad pipeline and to develop relationships, negotiate and problem solve with external partners
- Strong track record of closing deals ranging from tactical, mid-size opportunities, to strategic, large and complex partners
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to evaluate opportunities from strategic, brand, financial, and operational perspectives. SQL a plus.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with internal and external cross-functional teams to drive programs and/or products
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to think and communicate creatively, thoughtfully, and on your feet with diverse technical and non-technical groups, spanning all organizational levels
- Highly entrepreneurial and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with the ability to thrive under minimal guidance and with a track record of success in highly collaborative, cross-functional teams.
- Strategic thinker and tactical executor able to shift from big picture to detailed operations on a dime
- Experience working on relationships and deals involving deep product integrations
- Experience in the local services space
- Can prepare their own assets
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.