Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Role
The People Business Partner (PBP) position is responsible for aligning business objectives with employees and management in designated business units. In many companies, the role is referred to as HRBP. The position serves as a consultant to management on people-related issues. The successful PBP acts as an employee champion and change agent. The position formulates partnerships across the TPH People team verticals (functions - Recruiting, WPX and People Operations) to deliver value-added service to management and team members that reflect the culture, values and business objectives of the organization. The PBP maintains an effective level of business literacy about the business unit's financial position, its midrange plans, its culture, and its competition. This role is intended to be solution-focused, and partner with and advise the business.
- Build relationships with all people leaders and establish regular check-ins.
- Build a trusted partnership with all people leaders so they proactively work with the BP on projects and people issues.
- Effectively handles Employee Relations cases and partners with managers on any complaints and incidents, in partnership with the US legal team.
- Surfaces business needs and potential solutions to the role’s Functional Manager, TPH People Sr. Manager and TPH GM.
- BP partners closely with all People Managers and Department Heads of assigned functions
- Other outcomes as assigned
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Be a trusted partner for Team Manila. Be a collaborative partner that has a strong pulse of the office, a trusted partner to employees and leaders, and an influencer and point of contact for business partner related topics including performance concerns, employee complaints, organization structure, etc.
- Provide thought partnership. Be a trusted thought partner with our leadership teams to deeply understand the business and solve complex issues through a people lens. Using a data-driven approach, develop a short and long term People plan for the organization to ensure we continue to scale and achieve ambitious goals.
- Provide expertise in key people domains. Partner with the business in areas such as org design, performance management, employee relations, total rewards, learning and recruiting with ease, finding the right balance between what’s right for the employee and Thumbtack. Be a confidant and coach across TPH teams to drive individual development, continuous improvement, and high performing teams.
- Drive change. Contribute to the design, localization and co-lead rollouts of various people programs for assigned teams, while also influencing the continuous improvement of these programs.
- Be a leader, and help us build. Provide a key interface between the People Teams and the teams; ensuring People programs and activities are integrated into the way the business operates and client insights are leveraged to influence the development of People programs. Anticipate and contribute to developing frameworks and processes to help us scale quickly.
- Action-Oriented. Embody critical thinking skills required to make judgment calls when it relates to sensitive cases and performance issues. Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, and enthusiasm. Provide thorough, unbiased observations and recommendations collected in investigations.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- 7+ years of HR business partner, 3+ years of leadership/ management experience
- Depth of knowledge on the following HR aspects:
- Handling ER cases regardless of office set up (in office or WFH)
- Familiarity with PH Labor Laws, discipline and due process
- Functional understanding of salary structures
- Experience in formulating job offers
- Experience in reviewing salary structures based on market data
- Strong compensation background
- Familiarity with Workday HR functions
- Functional understanding of compensation and benefits program
- Strong experience in policy making and review
- Working knowledge of BPO HR practices
- Ability to take BPO practices and scale based on business need
- Employee Relations experience
- Total Remuneration
- HR Operations
- BPO Practice Experience
- Organizational Savviness- ability to navigate through management initiatives, global prerogatives and local business and HR needs
- Experience working in a Shared Services organization
- Experience working with cross functional teams and partnering with US offices
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.