Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Data Analytics Team
Thumbtack’s Ops Analytics team is a tight-knit group charged with providing actionable insights for Thumbtack’s Go-to-Market and Operations teams. We collaborate with various groups across the company on a wide variety of projects; everything from click-level data from our online HelpCenter, to call-level data from our outbound sales teams, to search- and conversation-level data between pros and customers from our product database. The Ops Analytics team is part of a global team of more than 40 analysts across Thumbtack’s San Francisco, Salt Lake City, and Manilla offices.
About the Role
As a Senior Data Analyst on the Ops Analytics Team, you'll empower various operations teams across multiple Thumbtack locations and serve as a cross-functional partner with members of Engineering, Product, and other Analytics groups. Ops Analysts have the opportunity to work on company-wide efforts where product and operations overlap such as new feature launches, customer and pro segmentation, feedback, & sentiment all the while providing data-driven feedback to streamline existing product features and policies.
The Ops Analytics Team is growing at a rapid pace - we're looking for teammates to primarily partner with our Experience Operations Team and provide secondary support on projects with Service & Support, Sales, Marketplace Trust & Safety, and more.
- Partner with leaders of Thumbtack’s Experience Operations team to conduct in-depth quantitative analyses that guide strategic decisions for User Experience, Product Operations, Refund Operations, and Digital Experience (i.e. Help Center, Content, & Proactive Chat)
- Communicate actionable insights to & drive Analytics initiatives for highly cross-functional workstreams across Thumbtack including Product, Engineering, Growth, Marketing, User Research, Go-To-Market, Support & Success, and more
- Quickly build technical and content expertise about our platform, as well as the touch-points through which the operations teams interact with our pros and customers
- Make recommendations based on detailed analysis and a deep understanding of our business
- Build and maintain reports, models, and visualizations which provide insight into users’ experiences and business performance
- Maintain SQL queries and scripts that underpin Thumbtack’s ETL data pipeline
- Identify key drivers of core business & experience outcomes through regression analyses, Machine Learning methods,and other statistical techniques
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- BA/BS degree, preferably in Economics, Statistics, Math, or Computer Science
- Experience working with contact center analytics
- Proficiency using SQL to query large datasets
- Passion for using analytics to solve problems that drive business impact
- Proficiency with statistics/programming languages (e.g., R, Python) and experience with data visualization software (e.g., Tableau, Mode)
- Sharp business judgment with a focus on impact in operational processes
- Strong communicator with the ability to explain technical results to a non-technical (and data savvy) audience
- Ability to detect and debug data anomalies in complex operational processes and a track record of working with business leaders to drive efficiencies
- Master’s degree in Applied Economics, Statistics, Data Science or related fields
- Experience with third-party operations- and experience-related platforms (such as Qualtrics, Google Analytics, Salesforce, Gong, Intercom, etc.)
- Experience working with cross-functional, off-shore teams in non-US time zones
- Familiarity with analytics and processes of other operational lanes (such as support, sales & success, or trust-and-safety orgs)
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.