Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Brand Creative Team
We’re a tight-knit, collaborative group on a mission to make Thumbtack famous. You’ll work closely with other designers, writers and producers to develop campaigns and comms for the customer side of our marketplace. Champion of the brand aesthetic, you'll partner with stakeholders across product, marketing and employer brand teams to create and maintain a cohesive brand across all touchpoints of the Thumbtack product and service experience.
About the Role
We’re looking for a Senior Brand Designer who can do a little bit, or a lot, of everything. We need someone who thrives on owning a variety of projects big and small. You’re just as comfortable teaming up with copywriters to concept a series of video ads as you are flying solo, mapping out landing pages or art directing a spot illustration for a product experience — you’re a self-starter who loves the challenge of translating a brief into world-class creative and isn’t afraid to manage their own projects.
- You’ll sit on the Brand Creative team, within our Brand Marketing organization, creating customer-facing campaigns, emails, ads, landing pages, and supporting product launches.
- You’ll collaborate closely with the Growth Marketing team to drive customer acquisition through paid social, app store optimization and landing page conversion, while finding ways to build awareness and drive affinity for the Thumbtack brand.
- You’ll also work with Product Marketing Managers to find ways of applying on-brand creative to marketing and product challenges for a non-technical audience.
- You’ll support the People and Comms teams on company-culture initiatives that make Thumbtack one of the best places to work in the Bay Area. (We’re one of the most innovative companies, too.) You may find yourself collaborating closely with exec-level leadership on internal and external culture efforts.
- With some support from team producers, you’ll be responsible for managing project intake, creating timelines, and facilitating rounds of feedback with partners.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 4-6+ years of professional design experience at an agency or in-house.
- Strong portfolio that shows strategic thinking, creativity and impressive design chops.
- Superb attention to detail in typography, composition and overall craft.
- Experience working within existing brand guidelines. You also know when and how to flex them, pushing the bounds of creative while remaining true to the brand.
- Reliable self-starter who can handle multiple projects with minimal oversight.
- Strong cross-functional collaboration and communication skills.
- Great presentation skills with the ability to explain your creative vision and listen to feedback.
- Expert level understanding of tools like Figma and Adobe CC.
- Experience managing project intake, creating timelines, and facilitating rounds of feedback.
- Experience taking campaigns through from concept to execution.
- Experience in photo/video art direction, motion graphics, and video editing.
- Experience leading or mentoring other creatives.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.